Thread: Change in circumstances- what happens? Pip, esa and uc

Change in circumstances- what happens? Pip, esa and uc

I do apologise for the length and amount of questions in advance, sorry!

I receive support group ESA, sdp, standard care pip and enhanced mobility pip. I was awarded esa in 2012 and not heard anything since. (I was born with most of my health problems and wont get better) my pip is ongoing / due for review in 2026.

My health has changed a lot since then and I know I should be on enhanced for both.

I have some questions about this:
    If I put in a change of circumstances, are they required to use evidence from my previous pip application / dla? I note they didn't use any evidence used for pip that was used for dla despite requesting it, which led to being told, amongst other rubbish, I can drive and my vision is fine. This is despite being told at every hospital appointment since 2007, I will never be able to drive. That was before an eye test was carried out at my pip assessment where I could read 3 lines with my better eye!

If I fail - esa, what happens? I cant afford to transfer to uc and lose sdp which is around £200 per month lost. This is my main worry.

When I was transferred over in 2016, I had a diagnosis of something and was told in 2017, it's wrong and don't currently have a proper diagnosis. What do I write on the form? I know its supposedly not about the diagnosis but I got the impression at my previous assessment, it does matter. (She had to ask what another condition was and then decided it wasn't that bad - I have a diagnosis because it was causing me problems)

Certain foods trigger migraines. This means I cant have ready meals. Do they take this into account for preparing food?
    Last edited by Maili; 04-07-20 at 18:06.

PIP and ESA are totally different benefits, getting or losing one has no effect on the other.

Although the reason for getting or losing one may also be a reason for getting or losing the other.

Each has it's own assessment - which although similar questions assess for different things.
    ESA is only about if you can work or not.
    PIP is about how you can cope with daily activites, and nothing to do with work. Many people who have PIP work as well.

If you report a C-of-C to PIP then they will reassess you as you are now.
    Because you are saying that your circumstances have changed then you are also saying that any old assessments are no longer relevant.
    Old evidence may be reused if it is still relevant, but it's usually best to send it again in that case.
    As you say it is not any condition itself that counts, but having a certain condition may/will back up what you are saying about your abilities.

If the C-of-C that you report could also affect whether you are able to work then they may evaluate that, and may want to reassess for ESA as well.
    You can't honestly report a C-of-C for one thing but then say that you haven't changed when it comes to the other.

What foods you can/can't eat is nothing to do with whether you can prepare food or not.
    It would come under Activity 2 'Taking Nutrition'.

Does eating ready meals giving you a migrane mean that medically you couldn't eat one? I doubt it.
    If your reaction to certain foods/addatives made you choke, vomit, have a seizure, have a severe alergic reaction then yes - but again that would come under taking nutrition not preparing food.
    And depending on just what you have to avoid then ready meals without that ingredient may be readily available these days. eg. Most supermarkets now have a wide of 'Gluten Free' and other '**** free' food ranges nowadays.

Of course you can combine the two and if they say you could microwave a ready meal, you argue that yes you could but if you did then you couldn't eat it.
    (I still don't think a migraine would be a severe enough reaction to count though).

As you have SDP then you can't by law claim UC if you lost ESA. (or at least not for a month afer ESA ended).
    If you lost ESA then you would have to claim Income Related Jobseekers Allowance instead, which would still include SDP if you still had PIP.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-07-20 at 08:46.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm guessing you don't know a huge amount amount about migraine? Bearing in mind, I've had ones where ive lost vision. Which obviously isn't something I really want to risk as I don't have much vision left in that eye.

Part of my argument being that due to my condition, I cant eat it therefore, how can I be expected to be able to "cook" it?

My conditions have got worse. I was told in 2015 that as I'm in the support group, I don't need to tell them that I've got worse as my award wont change.

Quite the contrary, I know migranes intimately.

Throughtout my teens and twenties I had disabling migranes, loss of vision, nausea/vomiting, shortly followed by the crippling headache.
    I couldn't take any painkillers for the headaches, I'd just throw them up again.

In my twenties these developed (migrated?) into full blown epilepsy.
    In my fories/fifties it developed further into a variant of Hypersomnia - unpredictable prolonged periods of unconciousness. (We are talking days not hours).

All three are linked to neurological damage as an infant, and all three have always been present, just in differing severities at different times.

Currently I get the vision disturbances at least two or three times a week.
    These start in the center of vision and gradually spread out to the edge.

Some people call them 'migraine flashes' but that's not a good description for what I see, dunno if yours are the same but the best description I can come up with is like the 'dazzle' camouflage on a WW1 battleship but shimmering/moving, and growing outwards across my vision.
    Imagine these paintjobs, but with the individual lines moving about, and all dancing in front of your eyes and growing bigger..
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=WW...w=1366&bih=626
    Luckily the headaches are nowhere near as severe these days as they used to be, and the nausea doesn't happen so I can take a painkiller if needed.
    I also get periods of strange constant whistling, which seems to be the same type of neurological disturbance but affecting hearing and not vision.

I still throw an eppy once or twice a year, just to make things interesting.
    (Scares the crap out of people who've never seen me have one before, those that know me know that I'll be fine in 15/20 mins).

The migraines and eppies never stopped me from working, it was the increasing periods of the hypersomnia that finally did that.

You can cook something without eating it - chefs do it all the time.
    You can (or can't) eat something that someone else has cooked.
    That's why they are two seperate activities in the PIP descriptors.

I'm just pointing out how an assessor is going to evaluate things based on their guidance.

You should be fine for ESA if you report a worsening to PIP, but just bear in mind that they may want to reassess anyway.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-07-20 at 09:44.

Having looked at my award again, they've advised I can use aids to make a meal. There are none. I cant use a liquid level indicator as my hearing problems (which were ignored) mean anything too high pitch sets off my tinnitus. The affects if my visual impairment were ignored too. Again, due to what I have, (what they've diagnosed anyway) means no aids works, especially with a hearing impairment too.

Its obvious from my award there was a severe lack of understanding of my disabilities. But as I'd just had a fall and ended up with both a head injury and vertigo (this was 2017 and I still have issues with both) I couldn't go ahead with the appeal and the people who had done a very bad job of my firm, I wasn't going to risk visiting again.

If you don't appeal then you have zero chance of sucess at appeal. (But fair enough if you didn't want to at that time).

You are too late to appeal a 2017 decision now.
    So if you feel that your care needs are greater, or if your condition has changed, then you can either report a change of circumstances to PIP, or you could wait until your next PIP review is due.
    Bear in mind that in either case they will look at the whole award again, both Care and Mobility components will be reassessed.
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/change-of-circumstances

When is your current PIP award due to end?