Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello

hello

i get esa 260 a fortnight with some premiums but i dont live on my own what is the extra premiums called that is when you live on your own and how much isit?

is it severe disability premium or something for extra help if your on your own

At £261.30 a fortnight ESA you are in Support Group with the Enhanced Disability Premium. (They also call it the 'Disability Income Guarantee' on letters).

To qualify for the Severe Disability Premium as well then you have to be:
    • Getting PIP Daily Living component or High Rate Care in DLA.
    • Living Alone. (or counted as living alone).
    • Nobody claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you.

You already asked about this back in February: https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...179#post170179

And as I said back then it's not simply a case of moving out of your parents house and then asking for the SDP to be added to your ESA.
    You would have to find somewhere else to live, and would have to pay rent there.

As you don't currently have SDP then if you moved out you would either:
    1. Have to claim UC to pay your rent at your new place, which would migrate your ESA to UC. (UC would pay you £42.37 more a week than your current ESA+EDP does, and that's before anything is added for rent).
      Or
    2. Don't claim UC and pay the rent yourself, then get the SDP added to your ESA as you are now living alone (which would give £66.95 more a week), then you could claim Housing Benefit for the rent instead of UC.
      Remember though that in a few years both IR ESA and HB are going to be Managed Migrated to UC anyway. You are going to end up on UC whatever you do now.

Whilst the second one would seem to be the best to maximise your benefits, the problem is that it does depend on paying the rent yourself for a while rather than benefits paying it.
    And the bigger problem with that is that you are going to find it virtually impossible to find a property/Landlord where you can do that.
    Landlords (private or Housing Association) won't rent to someone who has no income, or no benefit that pays the rent, and you won't have either unless you claim UC.
    (You might, if you were very lucky, get a private rental if you can pay a landlord 6 months rent up-front for a 6 month Fixed Term tenancy.
    But most would be relectant to even do that, and although I can't know I doubt that you have the money to do that).

So to be realistic your choices are:
    1. Stay at home with your parents and your current ESA/DLA.
    2. Find a flat, move out, and claim UC instead of the ESA (You would still have the DLA).

To be brutally honest although you would get an extra £42 a week (£185 a month) if you move out and claimed UC you are almost certainly better off staying as you are.
    Moving out from parents is a big step and it doesn't come cheap.

You will have all the initial costs of moving to a new place of your own, decorating, carpets, curtains, furniture, bed & bed linen, cooker, washer, fridge, microwave, pots & pans, plates/dishes/cutlery/cups, vaccum cleaner, TV, computer, etc., etc., down to smaller things like towels, dishcloths, salt and pepper shakers, and so on.
    There's a lot of stuff you need/want in a house/flat and it all needs to come (be bought) from somewhere, especially if it's your first home.
    Even second hand you will almost certainly find that you can't afford it all and have to do without many things that you currently take for granted at your parents house.

Then you will suddenly be responsible for paying your own rent, council tax, electricity, water, gas, telephone, broadband, TV licence, clothing, and don't forget food.
    Sit down and make a list of what all those things would cost you, both for the move (think of everything you would need in the new flat and what it would cost), and then for the ongoing bills.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-07-20 at 10:42.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    At £261.30 a fortnight ESA you are in Support Group with the Enhanced Disability Premium. (They also call it the 'Disability Income Guarantee' on letters).

You already asked about this back in February: https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...179#post170179

And as I said back then it's not simply a case of moving out of your parents house and then asking for the SDP to be added to your ESA.
    You would have to find somewhere else to live, and would have to pay rent there.

1. Have to claim UC to pay your rent at your new place, which would migrate your ESA to UC. (UC would pay you £42.37 more a week than your current ESA+EDP does, and that's before anything is added for rent).
      Or
    2. Don't claim UC and pay the rent yourself, then get the SDP added to your ESA as you are now living alone (which would give £66.95 more a week), then you could claim Housing Benefit for the rent instead of UC.
      Remember though that in a few years both IR ESA and HB are going to be Managed Migrated to UC anyway. You are going to end up on UC whatever you do now.

Whilst the second one would seem to be the best to maximise your benefits, the problem is that it does depend on paying the rent yourself for a while rather than benefits paying it.
    And the bigger problem with that is that you are going to find it virtually impossible to find a property/Landlord where you can do that.
    Landlords (private or Housing Association) won't rent to someone who has no income, or no benefit that pays the rent, and you won't have either unless you claim UC.
    (You might, if you were very lucky, get a private rental if you can pay a landlord 6 months rent up-front for a 6 month Fixed Term tenancy.
    But most would be relectant to even do that, and although I can't know I doubt that you have the money to do that).

2. Find a flat, move out, and claim UC instead of the ESA (You would still have the DLA).

To be brutally honest although you would get an extra £42 a week (£183 a month) if you move out and claimed UC you are almost certainly better off staying as you are.

You will have all the initial costs of moving to a new place of your own, decorating, carpets, curtains, furniture, bed & bed linen, cooker, washer, fridge, microwave, pots & pans, plates/dishes/cutlery/cups, vaccum cleaner, TV, computer, etc., etc., down to smaller things like towels, dishcloths, salt and pepper shakers, and so on.
    There's a lot of stuff you need/want in a house/flat and it all needs to come (be bought) from somewhere, especially if it's your first home.
    Even second hand you will almost certainly find that you can't afford it all and have to do without many things that you currently take for granted at your parents house.

Then you will suddenly be responsible for paying your own rent, council tax, electricity, water, gas, telephone, broadband, TV licence, clothing, and don't forget food.
    Sit down and make a list of what all those things would cost you, both for the move (think of everything you would need in the new flat and what it would cost), and then for the ongoing bills.

ok esa is or will be

260 every 2 weeks 520

also will be SDP 66.95 x 4 267.95

so 520 + 267.95 = £787.80 every 4 weeks
    but as it is paid monthly it should be
    871 thats what my monthly uc should be as no one is going to be worse off on uc then ESA or will have to go to tribuneral.
    whats your thoughts on these amounts on uc is this true.

But you don't have/can't get SDP, so you can't include it in any comparison.

You cannot get SDP because you live with your parents.

If you move out you will have to claim UC to pay your rent.
    Which will 'Naturally Migrate ESA to UC - so still no SDP.

The one fact that remains is that if you naturally migrate to UC you will be £42 a week better off than you are on your current ESA+EDP.

That's not as much as if you could get SDP - but in your current circumstances you can't get SDP.

Or

To be brutally honest although you would get an extra £42 a week (£183 a month) if you move out and claimed UC you are almost certainly better off staying as you are.

I was completely ignorant of the benefit system before moving out. I signed a lease, the housing officer said I would be liable for 1st months rent (that I would get back at the end of the tenancy), but everything else of the benefit front would be done automatically by her. I moved in and my HB started. Only after did I become aware of SDP. This was a couple of years ago though, and things might be different.

Might be worth speaking to a housing officer about how to go about it.

But you don't have/can't get SDP, so you can't include it in any comparison.

You cannot get SDP because you live with your parents.

If you move out you will have to claim UC to pay your rent.
    Which will 'Naturally Migrate ESA to UC - so still no SDP.

The one fact that remains is that if you naturally migrate to UC you will be £42 a week better off than you are on your current ESA+EDP.

That's not as much as if you could get SDP - but in your current circumstances you can't get SDP.

yes but when i live on my own, as i am in the middle of getting a place i should get the equivalent to what i would get on esa?

thank you

People who are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium can still make new claims for all the benefits that Universal Credit replaces

i found this of a website, also i am homeless am i entitled to SDP benefit now?

also my freind gets 878 a month UC this is just her money not rent etc, and she lives on her own with no kids.
    surely this is what i would get if i had my own place?
    Last edited by jjmurphy123; 09-07-20 at 08:09.

Are you now saying that you yourself are now homeless? (or is it just something you have read?).

If so then how did that happen?
    And where are you living now?

(NOTE- If you intentionally make yourself homeless then you will not get a council property, not even an emergency B&B or hostel).

[QUOTE=nukecad;172230]Are you now saying that you yourself are now homeless? (or is it just something you have read?).

If so then how did that happen?
    And where are you living now?

(NOTE- If you intentionally make yourself homeless then you will not get a council property, not even an emergency B&B or hostel).[/QUOTE

i wont get too much into my mental health as it is around 8 diagnosis, but i smashed my room up as the voices told me to and i got kicked out....
    now my psychiatrist has written a letter to my housing officer also my gp explaining all of this, at this moment i am living in a tent so am i entited to claim SDP?

Sorry to hear that.

I would have thought you would be more concerned with getting out of the tent rather than with SDP.

I realise that it may be part of your condition but you seem to be fixated on SDP to the cost of everything else.
    You are very unlikely to get SDP now or in future, you should forget about SDP and concentrate on getting somewhere to live.

To answer your direct question - NO, you can't get SDP (or even EDP) while living in a tent, unless it is a large tent on a site.

The legislation governing benefits say that no premiums are payable if the claimant is “without accommodation”.

So they should stop paying you the EDP, and your ESA will go down while you are living in a tent.
    It's debatable whether the Support Group component is a premium or not, but they may stop that as well - which would leave you with just the £74.35 Personal Allowance whilst you are living in a tent.

If you were living in a cardboard box, bus shelter, park bench, etc. you would clearly be “without accommodation”.

It's a bit less clear cut with living in a tent.

A large tent on a site where you are paying site fees could be classed as "accommodation” in some circumstances.
    A tent in a field, park, side of the road, waste ground, or someones garden, wouldn't be classed as "accommodation".

The decision makers guidance for ESA, Volume 9, Chapter 24, says this about "accommodation".
    24158 The word “accommodation” is not defined in the SS legislation, but in this context it
    means an effective shelter from the elements
    1. which is capable of being heated and
    2. in which the occupants can sit, lie down, cook and eat and
    3. which is reasonably suited for continuous occupation.

24159 The site of the accommodation may alter from day to day, but it is still
    accommodation if the structure is habitable. Materials which give only a small
    amount of protection from the elements, for example
    • cardboard boxes
    • sleeping bags
    • bus shelters
    • park benches
    do not fall within the description of accommodation.
    So although that does not specifically rule out living in a tent, whether any particular tent is "reasonably suited for continuous occupation" or not will depend on just what the tent is and where it is sited.

It's up to the DWP Decision Maker to decide if your particular tent/location is "reasonably suited for continuous occupation" or not.

To be honest your situation has now grown into something that cannot (and probably should not) be handled on a web forum.

As you have a Housing Officer then that is the person who you should be talking to about getting your accommodation situation resolved.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-07-20 at 10:19.

Sorry to hear that.

I would have thought you would be more concerned with getting out of the tent rather than with SDP.

I realise that it may be part of your condition but you seem to be fixated on SDP to the cost of everything else.
    You are very unlikely to get SDP now or in future, you should forget about SDP and concentrate on getting somewhere to live.

To answer your direct question - NO, you can't get SDP (or even EDP) while living in a tent, unless it is a large tent on a site.

The legislation governing benefits say that no premiums are payable if the claimant is “without accommodation”.

So they should stop paying you the EDP, and your ESA will go down while you are living in a tent.
    It's debatable whether the Support Group component is a premium or not, but they may stop that as well - which would leave you with just the £74.35 Personal Allowance whilst you are living in a tent.

If you were living in a cardboard box, bus shelter, park bench, etc. you would clearly be “without accommodation”.

It's a bit less clear cut with living in a tent.

A large tent on a site where you are paying site fees could be classed as "accommodation” in some circumstances.
    A tent in a field, park, side of the road, waste ground, or someones garden, wouldn't be classed as "accommodation".

The decision makers guidance for ESA, Volume 9, Chapter 24, says this about "accommodation".

So although that does not specifically rule out living in a tent, whether any particular tent is "reasonably suited for continuous occupation" or not will depend on just what the tent is and where it is sited.

It's up to the DWP Decision Maker to decide if your particular tent/location is "reasonably suited for continuous occupation" or not.

To be honest your situation has now grown into something that cannot (and probably should not) be handled on a web forum.

As you have a Housing Officer then that is the person who you should be talking to about getting your accommodation situation resolved.

i agree, housing first and i am doing that as we speak, in terms of SDP if i get a council house i should get that.

The Severe Disability Premium does not exist in Universal Credit. At the moment, people who are entitled to Severe Disability Premium cannot claim Universal Credit (if i get a flat from the council i will be) If you are entitled to a Severe Disability Premium, you can still make new claims for the benefits Universal Credit replaces so i should get that on top of my esa if i get a place?

or if i did have to claim UC and live on my own the goverment made it clear that no one would be worse off on UC than ESA so i would have to take it to a tribuneral to make it the same amount but claiming a diffrent benefit if that is the case?

also thank you for all your help you have giving me.