Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: UC "Other Income" confusion

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10

    UC "Other Income" confusion

    Before anything else, thank you for such an amazing resource. I did search around but could not find anything pertaining to my query.

    In my first UC payment calculation all my household income and savings are correct, but there is a section labeled "Other Income" that I do not understand. I have no other income than what I have declared, and due to this supposed income I will get a payment of £0 this month! I am on ESA CB but this is accounted for elsewhere on the payment page, so I'm really confused.

    I've attached a screenshot of the Payment page details (name redacted).

    Could somebody please help me understand what this mystery income might be?
    Attached Images

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    A little more information: I have noticed that the "Other income" amount (£454.20) correlates with what I receive from the DWP for ESA CB, but further down the Payment Statement ESA is deducted (to the amount of £492.05 which I obviously do not actually receive) in the UC calculation.

    Am I right in thinking that ESA has been calculated twice in the UC calculation; once correctly (£454.20, labelled as "Other Income") and once incorrectly (£492.05, labelled as "Other benefits")?

    (If anybody with the necessary expertise would like to see the full Payment Statement screenshot I am happy to oblige in a PM!)
    Last edited by matt; 11-07-20 at 16:25.

  3. #3
    Assuming you are in the Support group and receive £113.55 for CB ESA, that amounts to £454.20 every 4 weeks.
    The £492.05 figure is therefore correct as this is what you receive monthly (£113.55 x 52 / 12).

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by leicesterguyuk View Post
    Assuming you are in the Support group and receive £113.55 for CB ESA, that amounts to £454.20 every 4 weeks.
    The £492.05 figure is therefore correct as this is what you receive monthly (£113.55 x 52 / 12).
    Thanks for clarifying how that's worked out. Why are both numbers (£454.20 and £492.05) considered as income (as if I was receiving a total of £946.25 ESA) when only £454.20 ends up actually appearing in my bank account?

    I'm really struggling to see this as anything but an error on the UC calculation.
    Last edited by matt; 11-07-20 at 21:14.

  5. #5
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,974
    I'm not sure what that £492.05 is supposed to be, it does not fit with CB ESA rate so presumably they think you have some other benefit in payment.

    However the difference of £37.85 a month does seem an odd amount for any benefit.

    Do you perhaps have a small private pension, or something similar, that may account for that extra £37.85 a month?
    (A private pension shouldn't be under benefits though).

    The deduction for savings shows that they have calculated your savings/capital/investments at between £9,500 and £10,000.

    It does indeed look like a DWP error and that they may have counted your ESA twice.
    (Unless you have a partner who is also claiming ESA or other benefits? I think that might show up under 'Other Income').

    I'm not on UC myself but believe that there should be another page with a breakdown of those figures, unless that's the page we are already looking at?

    I'd put a query on the payments section of your journal, asking what they think the 'Other Income' is, how the £492.05 in benefits has been calculated, and why they seem to have deducted your ESA twice.
    And then I'd probably back that up with a phone call on Monday.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-07-20 at 11:08.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I'm not sure what that £492.05 is supposed to be, it does not fit with CB ESA rate so presumably they think you have some other benefit in payment.

    However the difference of £37.85 a month does seem an odd amount for any benefit.

    Do you perhaps have a small private pension, or something similar, that may account for that extra £37.85 a month?
    (A private pension shouldn't be under benefits though).

    The deduction for savings shows that they have calculated your savings/capital/investments at between £9,500 and £10,000.

    It does indeed look like a DWP error and that they may have counted your ESA twice.
    (Unless you have a partner who is also claiming ESA or other benefits? I think that might show up under 'Other Income').

    I'm not on UC myself but believe that there should be another page with a breakdown of those figures, unless that's the page we are already looking at?

    I'd put a query on the payments section of your journal, asking what they think the 'Other Income' is, how the £492.05 in benefits has been calculated, and why they seem to have deducted your ESA twice.
    And then I'd probably back that up with a phone call on Monday.

    Thank you, nukecad. You clearly put a lot of thought into this and I genuinely appreciate that.

    To clarify:
    • I have no private pension
    • the deductions for savings/capital/investments is spot on
    • I have a partner but she works and is not in receipt of any benefit
    • This page shown is the detailed breakdown
    • And, of course, at no point during the payment statement period did the DWP give me nearly £1000 in ESA!



    I will leave journal notes today and call tomorrow. Thank you for helping me better understand the process, and confirming that I'm not just very bad at maths!

  7. #7
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,974
    Not quite spot on, the deductions for savings go in £250 savings increments - so that should have been savings of between £9,500 to £9,750.

    However your having a working partner may explain the 'Other Income', your partners income from work will be taken into account for UC which after all is an 'Income Related' benefit.

    It may well be that they have mixed up which sections to put the deductions your ESA and the deductions for your partners income under?
    (And it's just a coincidence that the amounts are similar within £37 or so, or possibly thats what caused them to get mixed up?)

    EDIT- What they are deducting for your partners income may also be questionable, particular as you yourself should have LCWRA status in UC, but one step at a time and find out first if that is what the 'Other Income' is.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-07-20 at 13:59.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Not quite spot on, the deductions for savings go in £250 savings increments - so that should have been savings of between £9,500 to £9,750.

    However your having a working partner may explain the 'Other Income', your partners income from work will be taken into account for UC which after all is an 'Income Related' benefit.

    It may well be that they have mixed up which sections to put the deductions your ESA and the deductions for your partners income under?
    (And it's just a coincidence that the amounts are similar within £37 or so, or possibly thats what caused them to get mixed up?)

    EDIT- What they are deducting for your partners income may also be questionable, particular as you yourself should have LCWRA status in UC, but one step at a time and find out first if that is what the 'Other Income' is.
    For full disclosure, here's a full-screen screenshot of the Payment Statement, with names replaced for privacy. You may be able to make more sense of it than I can! Note that it is entirely accurate in terms of our incomes and savings, and that my partner's income from work is correctly listed under "Take-home pay" (£1057.36). The only aberration is the "double ESA" confusion. Your thoughts on the full numbers would be very welcome and massively appreciated.
    Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,974
    Sorry that's too small to see here, and trying to enlarge it in any of my image viewers just makes it unreadable.
    Doesn't help that the numbers are blue/grey. (No doubt the DWP do that on purpose so that they don't copy/print well).

    In the end though the only people who can explain just what they have done, and why, are the DWP themselves.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorry that's too small to see here, and trying to enlarge it in any of my image viewers just makes it unreadable.
    Doesn't help that the numbers are blue/grey. (No doubt the DWP do that on purpose so that they don't copy/print well).

    In the end though the only people who can explain just what they have done, and why, are the DWP themselves.
    I certainly hope that is the case! At any rate, they're the only ones who can resolve it!

Similar Threads

  1. "Medical Evidence" and other questions re. appeal
    By hughie1 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-08-18, 18:50
  2. Anyone use that "other forum"?
    By NeurologicalNed in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-03-17, 13:40
  3. Interpretation of "regular" as in "bedroom allowance due to regular overnight care"?
    By AMac in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-10-13, 19:27
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-13, 20:52
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-13, 20:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •