Thread: Pip Renewal and Odd Capita Phone Message

Pip Renewal and Odd Capita Phone Message

Hi all. I sent back my PIP review forms in February. Never heard anything further at the time but assumed I was on hold as my payments were still coming in. Finally, early July I received the standard DWP text of We've Received Your etc. Then on Monday I received a DWP letter dated last week saying my PIP (due to end next month) would be extended until February due to Corona. Although it had the usual clause of "Unless we can complete the review before then" so I knew it was effectively meaningless.
    But I didn't realise quite how meaningless until I checked my mobile voicemail this afternoon. I rarely go anywhere near my mobile phone and that is the number DWP have for me. I found an odd message from Capita asking me to phone them back. I initially just ignored it as a spam call as I have no idea who Capita is. And then I googled them and realised.
    All the message says (in a heavy Northern Irish accent) is to call them back and this is a "prepper" message. At least, it sounds like the guy leaving the message calls it a "prepper". It's hard to make out and it's a strange word to use.
    What makes it even stranger is I live in Scotland where Capita don't do PIP reassessments. Unless this has changed recently. I am obviously now expecting a letter about a phone assessment to arrive any day. It had better be at least 7 days notice. I'm certainly not calling Capita. I thought they weren't even supposed to leave messages (it sounds like an average phone jockey).
    Anyway, any advice or thoughts gratefully received. Ta.

The letter is standard, they are extending any PIP awards that are due to end by six months at a time, and you get the extension letter about a month before your award is due to end.
    The extensions are supposed to continue six months at a time until they can do a reassessment.

As for the phone call.
    It may be that the usual areas covered by the assessment companies have been temporarily changed due to covid?
    There again benefits have been devolved to Scotland on 1st April (and PIP will be changing to 'Disability benefits for Working Age People' as from next year) so maybe Capita are now doing Scotland?
    https://www.gov.scot/news/delivery-o...start-in-2020/

"Prepper" may be Prepare? And may be your 7 days notice?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you, nukecad. That is good deduction and may well be the case.
    I have to say, though, that I am not accepting a garbled phone message which at no point even mentions PIP and sounds like a Spam message from an insurance scam company as a 7 days notice. They can send me a letter or a text. Otherwise, forget it. Like I say, the only reason I know what it was to do with was because I googled Capita. Hardly good practice on their part, I would have thought.
    I've really had enough of dealing with these blasted companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Voc44 View Post
    I googled Capita. Hardly good practice on their part, I would have thought.
    Capita (or Atos, or Maximus/CHDA) and good practice = Roll on the floor laughing.

I've just been reading that Capita were contracted to do some preliminary work in relation to the new Scottish 'Disability benefits for Working Age People'.

But that was supposed to be for staff recruitment only, and not for carrying out any assessments themselves.
    Plus of course that's for the new benefit and not PIP.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/?ACT=39...Oug&board_id=1

Have you heard anything more Voc44?

I have just today. Received a letter from Capita dated 22 July (the day they left the phone message) saying I have a phone assessment at 8am on 10 August.
    The letter actually says that I should ring this number for England and Wales. Scotland isn't even mentioned in it. I can't help feeling the Scottish government may have something to say about that.
    Also says "Try to be in a quiet place with good signal and no background noise". Well, that effectively cancels out my home. Where would they suggest?
    It is utterly farcical and I see no way as to how a phone assessment can cover anything other than hitting targets. Speaking on the phone for an hour or more isn't something I do with friends or family let alone something like this. These blasted companies. A nuclear bomb could be going off and they'd still be expecting you to do an assessment.
    Thanks for getting back to me, nukecad.