Thread: Inaccurate letter re UC

Inaccurate letter re UC

I'm on ESA (IR) Support Group. I received a letter from the council yesterday saying my council tax support and housing benefits claims have been reviewed. There is absolutely no change to the amounts received as a result of the review but what perplexes me is the reason given for the review - "we have received notification of your Universal Credit award"

I'm not on UC. I've never been on UC. I've never claimed for UC

And while the letter is dated 18th July this year the period under review dates back to Aug 5th 2019. Again, this makes no sense. There were changes to my situation in 2019, of which the council are aware, but nothing on this date. I was awarded PIP backdated to July 24th 2019 and I moved from WRAG to SG in December 2019. So only the PIP award is close to the date mentioned on the letter and the council was already aware of this and indeed wrote to me some time back acknowledging this.

So what do I do? Let sleeping dogs lie as nothing has been affected as a result of this letter? Or contact them about their error and risk delays in housing benefit and council tax support while they investigate?

Have any of your benefits stopped payment?

It may just be a standard letter wording choice.
    You know the kind of thing - there are a number of reasons on a standard letter template with 'delete if not applicable', and they have not deleted what they should have, or deleted the wrong thing, before sending it out.

As long as your benefits are being paid as normal then I'd just ignore it.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nuke.

No, nothing's stopped. Though next HB not due till Aug 3rd & Council Tax Aug 15th. Received ESA as per usual Jul 23rd - five days after date of letter. It may be standard but there's nothing deleted. Only DWP benefit referred to is UC. But as nothing changed - as far as I can see, council tax support is a bit more complicated I think due to the recent covid-related reduction - so I'll let it lie.

Yes, I'd just foget it as a stupid letter unless anything changes.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Gone through it all (ten pages) carefully and three times over and from what I can see it looks like I've overpaid council tax by just over £100. There's no specific mention of overpayment but if what the letters says WRT council tax support is true then I've definitely overpaid. Do you think they will refund on the next due payment date or am I going to have to get in touch with them after all?