Thread: Child dla refused now at mandatory reconsideration advice needed

Child dla refused now at mandatory reconsideration advice needed

Hi folks, newbie here so please be kind, as title suggests my son was refused dla and I’ve lodged a mandatory reconsideration, I’ve also just today got a gp supporting letter, any advise would be much appreciated.

We don't see many questions about child DLA, one or two member do have children with DLA but they musn't have seen this yet.

The general advice is not to expect too much from MR.
    They do seem to have a slightly better chance of sucess recently but the DWP still only change about 10% of decisions at MR.

Expect to have to lodge an appeal, currently appeals have around a 80% success rate of getting DLA/PIP decisions overturned (on exactly the same evidence as used at MR).

As you have new evidence in the form of the GP letter then you could send a copy (NOT the original) to the DWP asking for it do be considered at the MR.
    Again don't expect much at MR though, it might not even get there before they do the MR. (Or they may just ignore it).

The best advice is to get help from a local advisor who can see your paperwork, letters, etc.
    Preferably one who is familar with Child DLA, but all benefit advisors know how to give the best chance on the MR/Appeal journey which is similar whatever the benefit being appealed.
    You can find local advisors by putting your postcode in here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

To sumarise:
    Don't expect too much from MR, you may be lucky but if they don't offer what you think you child deserves then do go to appeal.

Here is some more information about the benefit appeals process, it's not difficult or scary, many of us here have had one or more (sucessful) appeals to the tribunal:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...-Tier-Tribunal
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks, your reply is much appreciated , I agree from what I’ve read MR is difficult

.and I expect to have to go to tribunal.
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    We don't see many questions about child DLA, one or two member do have children with DLA but they musn't have seen this yet.

The general advice is not to expect too much from MR.
    They do seem to have a slightly better chance of sucess recently but the DWP still only change about 10% of decisions at MR.

Expect to have to lodge an appeal, currently appeals have around a 80% success rate of getting DLA/PIP decisions overturned (on exactly the same evidence as used at MR).

As you have new evidence in the form of the GP letter then you could send a copy (NOT the original) to the DWP asking for it do be considered at the MR.
    Again don't expect much at MR though, it might not even get there before they do the MR. (Or they may just ignore it).

The best advice is to get help from a local advisor who can see your paperwork, letters, etc.
    Preferably one who is familar with Child DLA, but all benefit advisors know how to give the best chance on the MR/Appeal journey which is similar whatever the benefit being appealed.
    You can find local advisors by putting your postcode in here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

To sumarise:
    Don't expect too much from MR, you may be lucky but if they don't offer what you think you child deserves then do go to appeal.

Here is some more information about the benefit appeals process, it's not difficult or scary, many of us here have had one or more (sucessful) appeals to the tribunal:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...-Tier-Tribunal