Thread: Council Care Package

Council Care Package

Hi everyone,

Would one of you be kind enough to offer your advice on how a Council Care Package works please?

First a little background:

Currently, I'm living alone in a run-down-wreck of a wooden ex-campsite holiday chalet. It is literally falling down around me and the landlord refuses to do repairs. I have been battling the local council for nearly eight years for housing help and finally they have come through (thanks to my Support Worker) - I have just been granted tenancy of a sheltered-housing flat that I can move into at the end of October. As you can imagine, I'm over the moon at the news.

I am unable to walk more than a few steps with walking sticks, so use an electric wheelchair indoors and out as my arms are too weak to use a self-propelled. I am a 62 year old male and I currently get Housing & CT Benefit, PIP (max in both) and ESA (support group).

Until Friday (when I viewed the flat), I was unaware that I could claim a Care Package/Personal Budget - I thought this was only for people that needed full-time care/rs. I do have a private carer that I pay for with my PIP; she helps me shower each day etc.

This new flat, is completely self-contained, but it is in a block with help available from staff if I need it in an emergency or to help out with things I can't manage. They are NOT carers and are not allowed to help in this role.

I have no idea how a Care Package/Personal Budget works. The reason I am going to be applying for it, is that there is a £50.00 per week charge to pay for the 'Well-being' service that I will have to pay on top of the rent for the new flat.

So my question is; will my ESA be affected if I get extra help towards this charge from the Council? I currently receive £395.20 every two weeks.

Thank you.

Trevor

Hi Trevor.

Good luck in your new home.

You might want to have a look at this link as there is a lot of information about personal budgets here: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/p...l-care-support.

Haringey Council's website states that the personal budget is tax free and does not affect your benefits or income.

Regards

Andrea

Thank you Andrea, I'll take a look at that now.

A quick update in case anyone else is looking for help with this.

I contacted my local council by filling in an online Initial Contact Form and amazingly had a phone call from them within thirty minutes.

The girl I spoke to was incredibly helpful and told me that I should have been getting extra help from them for years. She arranged a long telephone interview with a colleague and that was followed up yesterday by a home visit and assessment. This took a couple of hours and was mostly the same as the telephone interview.

It took less than a week from initial contact to yesterday's interview - I was seriously impressed.

The result? I'm entitled to daily help from a carer, that I can either employ or they will provide - I opted for employing one myself as I have someone I use already. They will also pay for my cleaner to come in once a week and they will pay the Well Being charge when I move into the new flat.

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I celebrated with a bottle of wine last night and am suffering for it though.

Anyway, the bottom line is if you're a wheelchair user like me there is more help available to you. However, it's a well kept secret IMO and no one will tell you about it.

Congratulations Sky!

so very pleased for you

Thanks SB - I still can't believe it. It's such a relief.