Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving home - how will it affect my claim?

Would it be possible to send you a private message nukecad?

There is no PM facility here both for user security/anti-spam, and because questions answerd on the forum may help othets

You can PM me at various other fora, I have the same username but a different avatar
    I suggest over at Landlordzone forums.

As you are moving to a private rental that forum will also give you an insight into private renting (and common problems) from both tenants and landlords perspective plus the other members can help with any private rental questions

You would have to make a joint UC claim, just like IR ESA you can't have sepetate claims

I've never heard of them asking for any more proof of caring other than what is listed on that entitledto link
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-09-20 at 02:08. Reason: Corrected typos.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for that nukecad. I will PM you in the next couple of days then. I've also been studying your excellent 'Migration from ESA to Universal Credit - the facts' page.

No, we are not a mixed aged couple, so no issues there. Regarding the private rental place we're hoping to move to - the house belongs to the landlord in whose home my brother rents a room. My brother's been with him for a few years now (and has decorated his whole house for him), so I know him fairly well, and he's a decent guy. This is one of the main reasons we want this move to be possible. He just needs to know in a few days that we can definitely make the move, and that we can do it in about 6 weeks time.

I've been trying out the benefit calculator on EntitledTo and I've come to this part in the Housing Costs section:

"Are you exempt from Local Housing Allowance?

If your current Housing Benefit claim started before April 2008, or you are in one of the exempt groups, Local Housing Allowance rules don't apply and your Housing Benefit will be based on your eligible rent."

We have been claiming Housing Benefit in our current housing association flat continuously since 2004 – so I'm not exactly sure what this means for us re: our intention to move to a private rental. Does anyone know?

It makes no difference to your situation.

What it means is that if you are in a Private Rental and claimed your current Housing Benefit before April 2008 then you are not subject to LHA and can be paid the full rent in Housing Benefit.

As you are currently in a Social rental LHA doesn't apply to you anyway.
    (Although that 2008 rule would still apply if you were staying with the same Local Authority, in which case it would be a change of circumstances to your current HB claim).

When you move it will be a new claim for UC not HB.

Even if you were still able to claim HB at the new place (say because of SDP) then it would still be a new HB claim, because it would be with a different Local Authority.

Again remember that at your new place it will be UC and so Housing Benefit rules will not apply, UC rules will apply.

Thanks for clarifying that nukecad.

As we are definitely moving in 4 and a half weeks time, when/how is the best way to let the DWP know? Should I notify them now of the intention to move, and then make the UC claim at the time of moving? I fear that if I inform them now it may mess up any ESA that I am due between now and then. Irrational maybe, but I've had nasty surprises in the past.

Not sure how I'd do it either.

I think I'd wait for the last ESA payment before the move and tell them then.

ESA now gives a two week run-on when you migrate to UC, so you should still get one more with the IR ESA included after claiming UC that is not deductable. Double benefits for those two weeks.

Edit- I need to double check that, the CB part may still be deductable and only the IR part paid twice for those two weeks.
    I suspect that is how it's meant to work, but sometimes with the DWP they do other things in practice.
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-09-20 at 17:05.