Thread: Occupational Pension & Income Support

Occupational Pension & Income Support

Hi

Does anyone know how Income Support treat a small occupational pension? I'm nearing 55 and can draw a small pension from a scheme I paid into for a few years. It's £700 a year which works out at about £13 a week, but I'm not sure whether it's treated the same as the £10 earnings disregard for a couple which would mean a £3 a week deduction or whether it's deducted in full. Hubby and me not working and not likely to be able to work again, and both on PIP with Income Support with HB and CTB.

Hi Caley

An occupational pension is taken into account in full for income support and there is no earnings disregard applied. If you want to check you can use this benefit calculator: www.turn2us.org.uk.

Regards Andrea

Don't draw it yet - save it for when you retire. There's no sense having it in one hand and paying it out of the other . . .