Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little advice needed please

little advice needed please

Hi all
    Hope your all well
    At the moment I work 24 hours aweek on wtc ctc hubby on cbesa in support group.
    At the end of the month my hours are being cut to 14 aweek (sign of the times )
    I’m then under the Hours needed to claim wtc so I will loose that
    If I was to claim careres which Ive not been able to because my wages has been to high
    Will it trigger a claim for uc
    Many thanks

You can claim Carers Allowance without claiming UC.
    But to claim CA your partner needs to have DLA/PIP, Attendance Allowance, or Armed Forces Independence Payment.
    Unless he has one of those you can't make a claim for CA for looking after him.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Nothing 'Triggers' a claim for UC, it's up to you whether you make a claim for UC or not.
    But if you don't then you could, in your case almost certainly will, be losing money.

You can't claim UC if you have over £16,000 in savings/capital, UC will be reduced if you have over £6,000.

If you do claim UC then any other Income Related benefit(s) you have will be automatically migrated into UC.
    Your partners CB ESA can stay outside of UC.

So now to your options -

Firstly, when was your partner (first) awarded ESA?
    Unless you have savings of over £16,000 then:
    If it is 'Old Style' ESA you should also be able to tell the DWP that you have a 'Change of Circumstances' and want to be added to his ESA claim as a partner.
    It is still possible to do that with 'Old Style' CB ESA but not with 'New Style ESA', (although they will try to tell you that you can't, because they are poorly trained), which would then become couples IR ESA with the Enhanced Disability Premium as well. (But with an underlying entitlement to CB ESA for your partner).
    That should then pay £180.50 a week, but would be reduced £ for £ by your earnings over £20 - so if you will earn more than £86.95 a week, which you will be, it would still remain at his current £113.55 CB ESA entitlement.

So you should find that you will be better off if instead of doing that you do claim UC instead. (Again subject to savings).
    If your partner does have ALA/PIP etc. then you should be able to get the Carer Element added to the UC payment.
    If you can/do claim CA as well as UC it would be taken £ for £ from the UC payment.

You could try putting your changed circumstances with the reduced hours into one of the benefit calculators to see what you would get with UC.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Or I could do a calculation if you can let me know:
    • what your income would be with the reduced hours.
    • if you are getting any other benefits between you? eg. CTC, Housing Benefit, PIP, Council Tax Relief, etc.
    • if you have savings/capital of above £6,000.
    • if you rent your property.
    • If you are a Mixed Age couple, ie one above state pension age one below it.

As your partner would have LCWRA in UC then you would have a 'Work Allowance' and be allowed to earn a certain amount before it affects UC.
    The Work Allowance is currently £292 or £512 a month depending on if you claim for help with rent or not.
    Anything earned above that would reduce UC payments by 63p for each £ earned above the Work Allowance.

Without knowing what your earnings would be, or if you currently claim housing benefit, then to give a rough idea of what you could expect to get with UC:
    (I'll leave aside the question of if ESA stays as a seperate claim, and if you can claim CA or not, because both those would be deducted £ for £ from UC so it makes no difference to the overall benefit payments).

£ 594.04 UC Rate, couple over 25
    £ 341.92 LCWRA Element.
    £ 935.96 Total monthly UC. (An equivalent of £215.40 a week, almost double what you get now for CB ESA)

That would then be reduced by 63p for each £ earned above your Work Allowance.
    There would also be a Housing Element to be added if you rent your house,
    plus a Child Element if you have children,
    plus the Carer Element if your partner has DLA/PIP etc.

As you can see that would be substantially more than your partners current £113.55 a week for CB ESA, and will/should still be more even if/when UC is reduced by your earnings. (Unless you will be earning more than £20/hour).

Take your time to digest all that, but if you could let me know that other information I can do a more accurate calculation.

EDIT- Sorry I'd missed that you said CTC above, how many children and what age(s)?
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-09-20 at 13:13.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You can claim Carers Allowance without claiming UC.
    But to claim CA your partner needs to have DLA/PIP, Attendance Allowance, or Armed Forces Independence Payment.
    Unless he has one of those you can't make a claim for CA for looking after him.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Nothing 'Triggers' a claim for UC, it's up to you whether you make a claim for UC or not.
    But if you don't then you could, in your case almost certainly will, be losing money.

You can't claim UC if you have over £16,000 in savings/capital, UC will be reduced if you have over £6,000.

If you do claim UC then any other Income Related benefit(s) you have will be automatically migrated into UC.
    Your partners CB ESA can stay outside of UC.

So now to your options -

Firstly, when was your partner (first) awarded ESA?
    Unless you have savings of over £16,000 then:
    If it is 'Old Style' ESA you should also be able to tell the DWP that you have a 'Change of Circumstances' and want to be added to his ESA claim as a partner.
    It is still possible to do that with 'Old Style' CB ESA but not with 'New Style ESA', (although they will try to tell you that you can't, because they are poorly trained), which would then become couples IR ESA with the Enhanced Disability Premium as well. (But with an underlying entitlement to CB ESA for your partner).
    That should then pay £180.50 a week, but would be reduced £ for £ by your earnings over £20 - so if you will earn more than £86.95 a week, which you will be, it would still remain at his current £113.55 CB ESA entitlement.

So you should find that you will be better off if instead of doing that you do claim UC instead. (Again subject to savings).
    If your partner does have ALA/PIP etc. then you should be able to get the Carer Element added to the UC payment.
    If you can/do claim CA as well as UC it would be taken £ for £ from the UC payment.

You could try putting your changed circumstances with the reduced hours into one of the benefit calculators to see what you would get with UC.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Or I could do a calculation if you can let me know:
    • what your income would be with the reduced hours.
    • if you are getting any other benefits between you? eg. CTC, Housing Benefit, PIP, Council Tax Relief, etc.
    • if you have savings/capital of above £6,000.
    • if you rent your property.
    • If you are a Mixed Age couple, ie one above state pension age one below it.

As your partner would have LCWRA in UC then you would have a 'Work Allowance' and be allowed to earn a certain amount before it affects UC.
    The Work Allowance is currently £292 or £512 a month depending on if you claim for help with rent or not.
    Anything earned above that would reduce UC payments by 63p for each £ earned above the Work Allowance.

Without knowing what your earnings would be, or if you currently claim housing benefit, then to give a rough idea of what you could expect to get with UC:
    (I'll leave aside the question of if ESA stays as a seperate claim, and if you can claim CA or not, because both those would be deducted £ for £ from UC so it makes no difference to the overall benefit payments).

£ 594.04 UC Rate, couple over 25
    £ 341.92 LCWRA Element.
    £ 935.96 Total monthly UC. (An equivalent of £215.40 a week, almost double what you get now for CB ESA)

That would then be reduced by 63p for each £ earned above your Work Allowance.
    There would also be a Housing Element to be added if you rent your house,
    plus a Child Element if you have children,
    plus the Carer Element if your partner has DLA/PIP etc.

As you can see that would be substantially more than your partners current £113.55 a week for CB ESA, and will/should still be more even if/when UC is reduced by your earnings. (Unless you will be earning more than £20/hour).

Take your time to digest all that, but if you could let me know that other information I can do a more accurate calculation.

EDIT- Sorry I'd missed that you said CTC above, how many children and what age(s)?
    Hi thank you so much
    I’ve tried doing online calculations and keep coming up with diff rant answers.
    Partner taken off I/b put in support group of cbesa in about 2012
    Savings under £6000
    Morgage on house (so not claiming for house)
    Partner £116 aweek cbesa
    Pip enhanced on both living and care
    My wages on 14 hours £127 aweek
    Child age 14
    Partners state pension 2022
    Thanks again
    Ps also in a live area for uc
    Last edited by Kerry; 08-09-20 at 15:22.

Cheers,

The whole UK has been a UC area for well over a year now.
    You can't claim legacy benefits anymore except in special circimstances.

Your partners ESA of £116 will be higher than the standard rate because it will include a Transitional Addition from the IB-ESA migration.

I'm out at the moment but will take a look at the rest later, may not be until tomorrow.

Thanks great thank you
    Take care

Sorry for the delay,

I've not forgotten you but am having my own health issues today.
    I'll do it as soon as I can.

No problem
    Take care

Sorry again for the delay, (Hypersomnolence can be a bugger at times).

I suspect that the problem you have had with the online calculators may be the Transitional Addition he has with his ESA?
    It makes it a non-standard ESA rate which could be confusing the calcuators.

From the information that you gave I calculate:

£ 594.04 UC Standard Rate, couple over 25
    £ 341.92 LCWRA Element. (Automatic because your partner has ESA Support Group).
    £ 281.25 Child Element. (Child born before 6 April 2017)
    £1217.21 Total monthly UC.

If you add the Carer Element of £162.92 that takes the monthly UC to £1,380.13. See below.

I'm getting the UC amounts payable from here if you want to check for yourself: https://focusondisability.co.uk/bene...benefit-rates/

Because your partner has PIP then there could also be the £162.92 Carer Element to be added if you say that you care for him over 35 hours a week, taking the monthly UC to £1,380.13.
    There is no problem with working and caring at the same time.
    Unlike Carers Allowance, UC Carer Element is not subject to any earnings limit. (But if your working hours increase they may wonder if you have enough time to still be caring).
    More info on all that here: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Ca...iversal-Credit

You could also, but don't have to, claim Carers Allowance. (See that link).
    If you do have CA it would automatically entitle you to the UC Carer Element, but any money you get paid for CA would be deducted £ for £ from UC payments.

If your partner keeps his CB ESA then that would also be deducted £ for £ from UC payments.
    But it's usually worth doing because if your future wages increase they would affect UC but not CB ESA. The same applies if you were to come into a windfall, say a lottery win or an inheritance, UC could then stop because of savings but CB ESA would still be payable.
    His ESA Support Group status would automatically give a LCWRA status, and payment, in UC.

Income from working:
    Because he has LCWRA and you will not be claiming UC Housing Element for rent then you will have a Work Allowance as a couple of £512 a month.
    Assuming that £127 is your take home pay then in a normal month it will be 4 payments = £508, which is less than that work allowance and so nothing will be deducted from UC for those earnings.
    However it is possible that in certain UC months you will get 5 paydays, depending on how the dates fall, in which case you will have earned £635 for that month.
    That won't happen often but if/when it does the calculation would be: 635-512 = £123 earned above the work allowance.
    £123*0.63 = £77.49 to be deducted from that months UC for earnings.

That occasional 5 weekly paydays thing is a problem that they are looking to solve, but for now it is what it is.
    (It's even worse for those who sometimes get two monthly paydays in the same UC month, stopping UC payment for that month altogether. It happens a lot when people get paid early for christmas and so get no UC for December, scrooge McDWP).

Hope all that helps, and again sorry for the delay.

Just to add that once you have had 9 consecutive UC payments you may also be able to get help with your mortgage payments, known as 'Support for Mortgage Interest' or SMI.
    However this is now paid in the form of a loan and will need to be repaid eventually, but only if/when you sell your home, the loan has interest (Currently 1.3%).
    You can also make voluntary repayments earlier than that if your circumstances improve.
    More about that here: https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-09-20 at 16:17.

Sorry for the delay in replying thank you so much for your help
    Not sure if to just put a change of circumstance into our online account or claim u/c
    Hate having anything to do with the benifit system
    Not sure how much the diffrance would be money wise also is u/c a better benifit hubby has small pension off 35 aweek coming out in feb 2021.
    Thanks again any fur5her advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope your feeling better
    Take care

I'm not sure what you mean by 'online account' is that for WTC?
    Reporting a C of C there would not do anything else other than stop your WTC.

You would have to claim UC yourself.
    If you need help with that then any local benefits advice centre can help, or CAB run the official 'Help to Claim' Scheme.

Find Local advisors: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser
    CAB Help to Claim: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...help-to-claim/

Income from a private/company pension will be deducted £ for £ from UC payments, but you would still be better off with UC than without it.

PS. Once your hubby reaches state pension age you will become a 'Mixed Age Couple' for benefits purposes.
    This can be awkward/complicated with some benefits and claims, but as long as you have claimed UC before that happens then UC will continue until you reach state pension age yourself.
    Oddly his ESA will stop a SPA, but LCWRA can continue to be paid in UC as long as the UC claim is still active. (Another example of where UC can be better than ESA for certain circumstances).