Thread: pip & savings

pip & savings

If or when i get my pip back payment could my money be cut. I have read that you get 52 weeks before money is classed as savings but couldn't find anything else out.

Quote Originally Posted by davy View Post
    If or when i get my pip back payment could my money be cut. I have read that you get 52 weeks before money is classed as savings but couldn't find anything else out.
    I looked it up and saw the same. 1 year before it's classed as savings. Not sure if all DWP backdated monies has the same rule. Perhaps someone else could clarify.

I think such a blanket rule is unfair. Especially in these strange times. Given that we are in variations of lockdown where services and travel restrictions are in place, how on earth are you supposed to spend the money that is given to improve quality of life on achieving that end?

i was sort of thinking the same thing i will get over 2 years of back payment and was thinking if i spent some of it quick on needed things they might ask questions. so im stuck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by quest View Post
    I looked it up and saw the same. 1 year before it's classed as savings. Not sure if all DWP backdated monies has the same rule. Perhaps someone else could clarify.

I think such a blanket rule is unfair. Especially in these strange times. Given that we are in variations of lockdown where services and travel restrictions are in place, how on earth are you supposed to spend the money that is given to improve quality of life on achieving that end?
    Very good point. On the very day of lockdown our bedframe collapsed. A crack in the wood that was running deep and couldn't be repaired. We couldn't just browse around shops for a replacement even if we wanted to and in any case we certainly weren't letting anyone in our house to come upstairs and assemble a new one. Since then the kitchen tiles have progressively began to fall to bits. Replacement is not a luxury but essential. We've been sleeping on a mattress for six months & having to watch our step every time we go into the kitchen or bathroom (which is accessed via kitchen) On top of that neither my wife nor I can receive massage and foot treatment that we received before. Don't laugh. That alleviated pain to a significant extent.

All told we must be looking at around £1500-£2000 that would in normal circumstances have been outlaid. I received my back money in March and my wife her carer's allowance backdated in June. If this takes us over the savings limit then we start to lose not only ESA but also housing benefit and - if I've read things correctly - have to pay full council tax instead of the 20% or so we currently pay.That would be another £25 per week BEFORE any ESA/HB extra is taken into account.