Thread: If I move will I be forced on to UC?

If I move will I be forced on to UC?

I'm in the ESA support group. I've been offered the chance to move my family and I to the Essex coast which is a whole different area from where we are now. Will I be forced on to UC if we move, as is this is a change of circumstance? Or will I be left on ESA for the time being because I'm in the support group?

Thank you.

If you will need help with housing costs in the new area you will have to claim UC. The only exception is if you are receiving SDP with your ESA.

I'm currently getting:

Joint claim ESA support group
    SDP for both my partner and I
    Tax credits for 3 children
    Child benefit for 3 children
    Housing benefit
    Council tax reduction
    Pip enhanced on both components, the other standard on both

I can't seem to make heads or tails of the calculator whether I'll be better off or not.

We wouldn't need help with housing costs.
    Yes, we're both on sdp, noisynoodle. Does this mean we won't need to change over?

As you have SDP then you are not currently allowed, by law, to claim UC. (So forget UC comparisons, at least for now).

You can claim Housing benefit instead at the new place, if you need to.

The online calculators are really meant for new claims and can get confused about migrations, meaning they can give strange answers.
    But again, by law you can't claim UC anyway. (TBH the calculator should have told you that).

When are you intending to move?
    The situation with SDP may be changing next January.
    Or maybe not, they thought they would be doing (and almost completed-LOL) Managed Migrations by now.
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-09-20 at 15:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nuke. We're hoping to be moved as soon as possible. It's a house exchange, so maybe 8 weeks. She's ready to go and so are we, we just have to view each others houses.

Shouldn't be a problem then.

Unless you have to convince some poorly trained kid at the new council that you can't claim UC because of SDP so can still make a new claim for HB with them.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

That's great news and it's a big relief! Thanks again