Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about PIP descriptors...

Confused about PIP descriptors...

Hello
    I am a double leg amputee and I use a wheelchair. The new descriptors are a bit fuzzy... As I see it, I should get enhanced rate of mobility component because I cannot stand (f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 meter. - Score 12). But, if I am successful in trying to fit prostheses... it means I can stand, and probably will be able to move more than 20 meters, with crutches and god knows with what pain and effort... So, my question: Is this new benefit encouraging me to stay in a wheelchair? because I tried before prostheses and it is really a huge effort, painful and time consuming.
    And another question... I am thinking of applying for ESA, because as a wheelchair user I feel I have limited working capacity. I am trying to find a job, so far I have applied to almost 60 jobs in the last 5 months. So... when I look at the descriptors... another surprise... :
    "1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonably be used.
    Cannot either
    (i) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion
    or
    (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion."
    So... as a wheelchair user... Do I say that I can mobilise more than 50 meters? I cant see any other situation where I might fit... Maybe this one:

"4. Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms (excluding standing, sitting, bending or kneeling and all other activities specified in this Schedule).
    Cannot pick up and move a 0.5 litre carton full of liquid."
    Its all so complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    I am a double leg amputee and I use a wheelchair.
    I'm so sorry to hear that Colin but i admire your strength and determination to carry on.

yes PIP and all other types of disability forms are annoyingly confusing but remember they are made that way to make people fail. they have limited so much because they dont want to find any person completely incapable of work.

as always it is suggested that when you fill in the form you fill it in whilst describing your worst day. and as you said prothetics cause you a lot of pain so obviously you are a full-time wheelchair user and the first question doesnt apply to you at all as you CANNOT mobilise without a wheelchair so i'm guessing you wouldnt tick any of the boxes for question one but where there is a box underneath simply write that you are wheelchair bound.

However that is just my opinion, lets see what everyone else says first. alternatively you can contact your welfare advisor or CAB for some help in what to say too.

Where ESA is concerned if you can self propel 200 yards in a wheel chair you won't score any points at all for that part of the mobility question. If they think you can mobilise in a wheelchair , even although you don't have one , you don't score any points for that either.

Sorry I can't comment on the PIP side as don't have any knowledge of it, but once people are around again in the morning I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

As it stands at the moment with PIP, you will get the enhanced rate if you remain in your wheelchair, try with prosthetics and you'll likely get standard rate only, so you are correct.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Interesting this one as the q's are it seems can you walk 50 metres etc if you tick no you get points - but if you use a wheelchair you are not walking - is there another Q about wheelchairs in it then which would concell out the not being able to walk if you use a wheelchair?
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    Interesting this one as the q's are it seems can you walk 50 metres etc if you tick no you get points - but if you use a wheelchair you are not walking - is there another Q about wheelchairs in it then which would concell out the not being able to walk if you use a wheelchair?
    It's about if you can self propell yourself in the wheelchair, be that by hand or motorised.

Colin,
    Are you getting DLA at the moment? That's more relevant than PIP questions at this moment.

My wife is getting a motoroised wheelchair does this mean she would now be classed as mobile?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhag View Post
    My wife is getting a motoroised wheelchair does this mean she would now be classed as mobile?
    too early to say till pip becomes law and people get turned down and go to appeal there is no way to know anything for sure.

at present regs can be read and you can come to more than one conculsion the one you have come to that she is now mobile could well be correct

They actually had being able to propell a wheelchair up to 50m in the 2nd draft, this would have got enhanced rate. Now that it is changed to only being able to stand and walk up to 20m for enhancd rate, more people will lose out.

fairydust
    Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    Hello
    I am a double leg amputee and I use a wheelchair. The new descriptors are a bit fuzzy... As I see it, I should get enhanced rate of mobility component because I cannot stand (f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 meter. - Score 12). But, if I am successful in trying to fit prostheses... it means I can stand, and probably will be able to move more than 20 meters, with crutches and god knows with what pain and effort... So, my question: Is this new benefit encouraging me to stay in a wheelchair? because I tried before prostheses and it is really a huge effort, painful and time consuming.
    Have you looked at the 'Definitions' (under the descriptors)?

“stand” means stand upright with at least one biological foot on the ground

If, like me, you don't have a biological foot, then it strongly suggests that you should qualify for the enhanced rate (and quite right too, IMHO).

As for your ESA question. Have you a user-friendly disability advisor in your local JobCentre? or, failing that, have you approached the CAB? Another suggestion is the website Benefits and Work.