Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is It Worth Applying for AA at the Moment?

Thank yo StarBright. If he had had the usual blood tests for his lymphoma in June the anaemia would have been picked up and investigated. Ironically he had another Lymphoma appointment in the post this morning for the end of October, yet another telephone one. How on earth can they do a check up over the phone? It is only your say so that you are okay whereas a medical person could pick up something on examination.

It's a bit odd that they didn't suggested a way to take the bloods. Family member a couple of weeks ago was told to go through a local drive through blood taking set up. There's little contact there stick arm out window both wear masks.

You have more faith in blood tests than me

Well it was blood tests that picked up the problems once the GP had ordered them.

that was now though not back then. I guess what I'm trying to say is back then it might not of been there or as bad as it is now so might not of been picked up then

You might download the application form... Have a read of it and also no. 61 of this lot is the decision makers guide: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nt-staff-guide
    They might help you decide how best to proceed.

Absolutely do ask for all the help you can, I'd say hubby needs help and so do you. In current situation, he should be shielding (still), just cuz Boris sez its safe, does not mean FA, to be honest. I'm sure the DWP knows that no bugger at the hospital is writing letters right now. Just keep phoning and hammering at them. Get help if you need it, from CAB or other services

Thanks, had an appointment at McMillan unit last week and they don't think there are any nasties. Putting the problems down to heart failure. Got a telephone appointment from Cardio tomorrow.
    Doc at cancer centre has advised our GP to optimise the water tablets and has arranged another chest x-ray for end of next month. If the fluid on his lungs hasn't gone they will drain it off.

We are struggling at the moment to do much although I try to incite hubby to move about as the worst thing he can do is nothing. The way to deal with heart failure is to try and keep as fit as possible.

In many ways he has brought the heart deterioration on himself in spite of numerous heart attacks, stents and bypass surgery by just doing nothing. I do wonder if he has had a silent heart attack because the gasping for breathe came on quite rapidly. A question I will ask tomorrow.

To be honest AA would help as we have to pay people to do things that he always done. I already pay folk to do the jobs I always used to do so you can imagine that life is getting very expensive.

I think a social services assessment would be a great idea for both you & hubby as you are both struggling so much at the moment. I think having a care plan in place will stop a lot of the stress you are feeling about having so much you can't do at the moment & knowing it is going to get done will reduce the stress of this aspect of daily life for you both.

It might also be cheaper as they can pay some of the costs themselves depending on your own finances

Thanks StarBright. I do have a carer I employ myself. It was cheaper for me to do that than take up the direct payment from county as my contribution was a ridiculous amount. My carer claims CA and I top it up. The most cost effective way for me. I did have them out the other week for an assessment about help to get out of bed that came to nothing as all they could offer/ advise wasn't suitable for pushing against. In fact there is nothing on the market suitable after I did lots of research. I am not against paying for equipment myself if it is suitable. I already have a private cleaner too.

Sadly hubby won't go down that route, he just says it is his lot in life and get on with it the best we can. Although I hate it, I am having to call on relatives and friends to help. They have their own lives and all work too. I don't think SS will take into account that the jobs that hubby used to do and can no longer are the outside jobs. His personal care is a struggle but we have devised methods to help each other, might take a long time but get there eventually.

Just waiting for the cardio telephone appointment this afternoon to see what they say then I am going to put in an AA claim for him. If it is successful then that will help with paid for assistance.

Luckily we both have work pensions coming in which helps but it does hurt to think the money we had invested for an enjoyable retirement is now spent on our needed assistance.
    Last edited by beau; 13-10-20 at 12:16.