Thread: Supreme court decision on Pip descriptor "Engaging with others face to face"

Supreme court decision on Pip descriptor "Engaging with others face to face"

Hi there folks,

I get a regular email update from Benefits and Work website and their latest states that due to a supreme court decision that it seems with the PIP descriptor "engaging with others face to face" the court took the view that in a lot of cases the points were not awarded correctly, and it seems the DWP in Uk are going to trawl back through a lot of old claims.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...020+newsletter

I live in N Ireland and would hope that the same procedure would be followed here eventually, I think it usually does.

This descriptor did apply to me but I was only awarded two points when I felt I should have got four for needing social support.
    I missed out on the daily care by one point (two years ago now) but was reluctant to ask for an MR even then, because of the devolved government rule I actually got three quarters of that care component for year (a top up payment which was unique to N Ireland) that has ended of course now and I only get the low mobility rate of PIP which is right in that regard.

So my question is, should I just wait and hope that they will somehow go through the pip claims including mine and it might bring something to light for me, or write to them pointing out the supreme court decision and asking them to have a look at it again to see if it applies to me.

I am aware that I could ask for a re-assessment of my pip decision which would probably mean I would have to re-submit a Pip form again and a face to face or telephone assessment, but even though I could do that, I would risk loosing the low mobility component as well.

So do you think that my writing to them and pointing out the court decision would be the best option or would they simply just send me a pip form again? it did say on the current claim that I am not due to be re-assessed until 2023.
    Many thanks for any advice.
    John.
    Last edited by johnsmi; 25-09-20 at 16:08.

had pip assessment in march 2019 had 4 points before then after assessment got zero I might send a letter off asking them to look at my claim again