Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I have a new phone please Mr PM?

Can I have a new phone please Mr PM?

I got the email from NHS Test and Trace, exhorting me to install the app on my phone.

BUT:
    The app requires operating system 13.5 or above if you have an Apple iPhone. It requires Android 6.0 or above if you have an Android phone.
    Some brand new Huawei's and other makers at the cheaper end of the market are also ruled out.

So no chance of putting it on my old Samsung Galaxy then.

Even if I didn't have privacy concerns with an app that lets the government track your every movement, via the private companies that are running it.

Yes, "HNS Test and Trace" is not run by the NHS, it's run by private companies.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...jglWMcEeqOAGYj

A quick check about and that 'old' operating system restriction rules out 20% to 25% of all Androids and iPhones currently in use in England and Wales.
    I'm not sure just how many cheaper phone brands it also rules out.

And of course who is the most likely to have an older, or cheaper, phone?
    The elderly and those on long term (disability) benefits who can't afford a shiny new phone each year. - In other words the most vulnerable groups.

Yet again billions spent on something that doesn't work at all for at least a quarter of the population, the quarter who could probably get the most benefit from it.
    Of course that will be quietly ignored, and the rollout of the app (at the 3rd try) trumpeted.

The money they have wasted on all this could have bought all of us a brand new smartphone.

The words "Could't organise a p-up in a pub" come to mind.

But of course the pubs will no doubt be closing again as Covid is spread about by students moving town to go to uni, and kids back at school.
    I don't see it as any coincidence that the infection rate is rising again shortly after they went back to school/uni.

Many student Halls of Residence are already in lockdown because of Covid cases in the new intake. (And now many students are heading back home to spread it about more).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54308329
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54300844

Rant over.
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-09-20 at 07:12.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I got the email too, not sure if my phone is good enough but I won't even be attempting to download it. I don't want my every move tracked. Getting more and more like big brother every day.

I bet that feels better Nuke!

I've been holding a rant back for weeks here goes:

Selfish baskets! who have spread Covid 19

1, People who have gone abroad for a holiday this year (one year without it would not of hurt you but you have hurt us)
    2, People who did go on holiday abroad this year heard that they would need to self isolate when home so grabbed new flights to get home before the curfew (that's great we will die because you don't want to stay home for 2 weeks)
    3, Marches/Protests hundreds of people to complain about something (don't worry we will get ill & die because you thought it right to go & protest about something)
    4, Teens/twenty year old's saying all old ill & vulnerable people should be back locked down so they can carry on living their life's (because they don't want to put their life's on hold for us)
    5, Panic buying again just how many freaking toilet rolls pasta & baked beans do you need?. Do you think you can fart Covid away?

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion over the last few months.

And for goodness sake get rid of Keir Starmer what the heck did he think he was doing giving his speech on the BBC the day after Boris?!!! can't stand the slimy git (and he certainly wouldn't like me if he met me)

You forgot the the biggest Selfish Baskets of all, those who are actually gathering in crowds to protests against lockdown measures:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54309603

As for those rushing back off holiday to avoid self-isolation; the fact that they can afford to pay for an earlier flight home speaks volumes.
    That situation could be easily avoided by the government making any country quarantine effective immediately (or at least next-day) rather than giving days of notice.
    If you are stupid enough to go abroad on holiday then you have to accept the risk that you may be 'quarantined' on return.

Even better make it a real quarantine for returners, in isolation centres rather than a wishy-washy self-isolation, and charge them for food and heating during their 14 day stay in real quarantine.
    If the army can build nightingale hospitals in days then I'm sure putting some tents up in a field or converting airport hangars to temporary isolation centres would be no problem.

PS. Apparently the latest panic buy is frozen turkeys in case we are locked down at christmas.
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-09-20 at 15:56.

For quarantine when arriving from abroad, before return you have to go on a website and fill in your details, flight, home address and telephone number etc. Who is betting to check that folk are actually quarantining they are rung. If a mobile phone number is submitted then the person being checked on could be anywhere and not at the address where they should be isolating.
    All is open to abuse.

I agree with you both,

frozen turkey's hey!. I personally wouldn't touch a frozen turkey for love nor money any time of the year

I've just heard another one on the news:

Conservative MP's are asking to put through or discuss in parliament EVERY covid 19 restriction BEFORE putting them in place (that's OK don't mind us we shall keep contracting & dying from it as long as you can debate it)

I have a small turkey breast joint in the freezer that I bought fresh but reduced in March this year. That will be enough for us as it will be okay in December. Did the same for last year too.
    Actually, Aldi's frozen turkey crowns are nice and reasonably priced, in the past I always used to buy one in the past at the end of October before the cost went up. Too much even on a small one for us, used to slice the extra when cooked and freeze it to use in soups.

I'd be too worried I would poison myself or others though I do freeze different types of meat but nothing as big as a turkey crown or whole one. We usually get one from a local butchers that's a slow grown breed so the meat tastes gorgeous because the quicker grown breeds of turkey put on fat instead of meat.

At the moment we are expecting to be on our own this year the same as we have been since march, see each other at the door & local cemetery but have spent no time together. It's been said we won't have a turkey this year though a family member could cook one & then split it between everyone so they can then serve cold or heat up at their own home.

At the end of the two days usually what's left gets split evenly & we then freeze what's left or carry on eating it then. I usually do freeze my share I it's very much loved when I do eat it

When I buy a turkey crown frozen it is straight home and in the freezer before it has time to even start thawing.

I don't like turkey anyway.

Pork joint is my favourite for Christmas, then beef, then chicken.

Or all three on the same plate if I'm in fat-bugger mode and can afford it.

You may remember that a few years ago I was in hospital from boxing day to new years eve; had cooked a large pork joint but only got a few slices for christmas day and had to throw the rest away when I got home.