Thread: Recently awarded PIP and was sent a Severe Disability Premium application form

Recently awarded PIP and was sent a Severe Disability Premium application form

Hi

So after applying for PIP this year, I recently received confirmation that my application had been successful. When I received my "change to your payment rates" letter confirming the updated rates, I also got a separate letter from the DWP at the same time.

I opened it and it was a basic application form for something called the "Severe Disability Premium". It was printed on the standard white paper that DWP letters usually come on.

The thing is I didn't request it. So I presume either the DWP feels that after looking at my PIP application, I may be eligible for extra help or the DWP has simply made a mistake.

My question is: should I fill it in and return it? There doesn't appear to be a return deadline. It just asks to return the form as soon as possible.

I am just concerned that it may have been sent in error (since I didn't request it), and if I apply for it, it could affect my recently awarded PIP or ESA claim.

I guess I am just worried about unnecessarily initiating further scrutiny of my benefit claim by applying for the Severe Disability Premium.

So I just wanted to know whether it would be best to fill it in and send it back or I should just forget about it.

Thanks

On my phone with a dying barrery.

Quick answer- yes do it.

More later.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    On my phone with a dying barrery.

Quick answer- yes do it.

More later.
    Hello Nukecad

Thanks for replying. I'll go ahead with it.

I'll check back when you have more to add.

Hi

So I've finally sent off my completed SDP form.
    I just have a question about my PIP award letter that I recently received. It says my PIP award will be paid until early 2023.
    Does this mean that the claim won't be reviewed between now and 2023? Or will it still be reviewed every year in the same way my current ESA claim is reviewed?

I have never been on PIP before so I was surprised to read that the award would be paid until 2023.

the pip wont be reviewed until about a year, or 6 months before the END DATE.
    so you can relax until 2022 at least

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    the pip wont be reviewed until about a year, or 6 months before the END DATE.
    so you can relax until 2022 at least
    Thanks for replying. That's good to know.

Sorry I never came back to this.

It's pretty standard to get an IS10 form from ESA when you are first awarded PIP.
    Although often they don't pick up that you have been awarded PIP and so don't send the IS10 form out; most people phone to request the SDP themselves and they do the questions over the phone.

The questions are pretty simple and there is no time limit for asking for the SDP to be added, it's not a new claim it's simply a change of circumstances to your ESA because you now have PIP.

SDP is currently an extra £66.95 a week on top of your current IR ESA, so yes it's worth sending the form back.

You have already done that so just wait for their decision, it's usually pretty quick a week or two.

To qualify for the SDP to be added to your current benefit you have to:
    • Have an Income Related benefit entitlement that it can be added to.
    • Have PIP Daily Living at any rate, (or DLA Care middle or higher rate).
    • Be classed as living alone.
    • Nobody can be claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorry I never came back to this.

It's pretty standard to get an IS10 form from ESA when you are first awarded PIP.
    Although often they don't pick up that you have been awarded PIP and so don't send the IS10 form out; most people phone to request the SDP themselves and they do the questions over the phone.

The questions are pretty simple and there is no time limit for asking for the SDP to be added, it's not a new claim it's simply a change of circumstances to your ESA because you now have PIP.

SDP is currently an extra £66.95 a week on top of your current IR ESA, so yes it's worth sending the form back.

You have already done that so just wait for their decision, it's usually pretty quick a week or two.

To qualify for the SDP to be added to your current benefit you have to:
    • Have an Income Related benefit entitlement that it can be added to.
    • Have PIP Daily Living at any rate, (or DLA Care middle or higher rate).
    • Be classed as living alone.
    • Nobody can be claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you.
    Hi Nukecad

That's fine. Thanks for getting back to me.

I was just a bit surprised to get the form since I didn't request it. At first I honestly thought the DWP must have made a mistake hence my reluctance to send it back.

You're right the questions were pretty simple. I've lived alone for at least the last five years so most of the questions didn't apply to me. I answered the questions that did apply and sent it off.

I presume they aren't going to ask for further evidence based on the short time frame for their decision.

I'm sure I meet the criteria described in your post, so I guess I will wait and see what happens.

I'll update the thread when I hear back from them.

Thanks again

TBH the first sign is usually when money for backdating of SDP usually hits your bank before the letter from the DWP turns up.

Bank transfers are faster than letters.

PS don't be surprised if the payment says that it's from UC -it isn't .
    ESA just use the UC banking system to make non-standard (not fortmightly) payments.