Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESA and GROUP INCOME PROTECTION

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I think that the Scope advisor probably misunderstood that your GIP was in fact classed as ongoing employment and thought that it was an occupational pension?

But then they would also have to be ignorant of the rules on occupational pensions above £85/week being deductable from CB benefits. Unfortunately many are ignorant of that.
    (New advisors tend to be only taught about UC these days and very little about other benefits, and so have to pick up the rules about ESA/JSA by themselves).
    Really appreciate your advice thank you.

While im here can i just ask another couple of questions please.

My GIP policy runs out when im 60, so that would be 7 years before i can get my pension.

So lets say im 60 next week and my GIP finishes and the rules are the same, would i be able to claim ESA or similar? Im just unsure what support there would be once my GIP finishes. The only realistic work i can do would be using a laptop laying down with it on my chest, as i cant sit or stand for long at all.

Also the insurance company have mentioned before paying me off - which if i accepted i would pay the remaining mortgage and a loan we have. This could be quite tempting as the company is really struggling at the moment. Just not sure where i would stand if this happened - im hopeful of getting PIP, but is there anything else i could claim?

Best Regards

If the GIP stops then you will no longer be 'employed' and could then claim New Style ESA if you have the required NI contributions, which you should have.

Plus UC if your partners income (or your savings) isn't too high.

Any lump sum and paying things off early would not affect NS ESA or PIP but might (almost certainly would) affect UC.

You could try one of the online benefit calculators to see what else you may be entitled to currently.
    You would need to put your GIP in as being employed and getting a wage, because that is how it is classed.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If the GIP stops then you will no longer be 'employed' and could then claim New Style ESA if you have the required NI contributions, which you should have.

Plus UC if your partners income (or your savings) isn't too high.

Any lump sum and paying things off early would not affect NS ESA or PIP but might (almost certainly would) affect UC.

You could try one of the online benefit calculators to see what else you may be entitled to currently.
    You would need to put your GIP in as being employed and getting a wage, because that is how it is classed.
    Thats great, thanks ever so much for all your help, its really very much appreciated.