Thread: still having to pay rent

still having to pay rent

got my pip confirmation letter about 3 weeks ago now but im still having to pay rent. i told the housing association and they just want money and not interested in anything else. i contacted the council and they said they are waiting for a confirmation letter. So anything else i can do as i have been paying rent for about 2 years now while waiting for my PIP tribunal. Im not happy as i doubt im ever going to see this money again.

PIP is not one of the benefits that 'passports' you to Housing Benefit.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Passported-benefits

You may still qualify by means of one of the other passporting benefits, or by means of low income, but not jist for having PIP.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry im paying over half of the rent because of the benefit cap.

im just annoyed with the whole thing as i was never told about the benefit cap so i only found out when the landlord sent me a letter saying i was 2 weeks away from being evicted. then i had the council on my back about it. so before i even knew about it i was already months in debt & threat of eviction. then a few months after i had started to pay i got another threat of eviction as they said benefit cap had changed so i owed even more in arrears. also i believe the landlord is on some sort of con as over about the last 6 months the rent has dropped twice and as far as i know the benefit cap hasn't changed but i have been paying more and more over them months. And to top it off i have never had a letter saying anything about the benefit cap. i have asked for something to say about it but never got one.
    Last edited by davy; 05-10-20 at 19:13.

Various websites, like Shelter https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...he_benefit_cap , explain the benefit cap. It mentions PIP as an exemption from the benefit cap. As you've only recently had your PIP confirmation, maybe the benefit cap did apply to you (even if you didn't know). If you have your PIP confirmation letter, could you send a copy to your council? That might be quicker than the council waiting for DWP to send them a copy of your PIP confirmation.

I wouldn't worry (too much) about eviction at the moment.

Landlords (including Housing Associations) currently have to give six months notice for eviction, (unless you have over six months arrears in which case it's 4 weeks), and then get a court order for possession.
    Courts have only just started processing applications for eviction orders following Covid, and it can take more months for the application to be heard. Even longer if the judge decides that your arrears are only due to Covid.
    (Private landlords are talking about 12 months plus to evict someone now, even when they are not paying rent).
    See this:
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ction_8_notice

The Housing Associations are well aware of this situation, but their automatic systems still churn out the rent arrears notices anyway.
    In most cases it would be impossible to turn that automatic system off without 'breaking' the whole accounting system.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.