Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from ESA support group to UC as a pensioner.

Moving from ESA support group to UC as a pensioner.

I might need lots of help as this goes forward. We are a mixed age couple BTW

Ive been on ESA for many years, well incapacity benefit before that. Ive now turned 66 and getting state pension so my ESA claim has ended.

Straight away I got a letter from my local council saying my Housing benefit had been suspended, as if Ive made a false claim!! I havent. I understand i cant get housing benefit from them anymore but can get council tax relief so have filled out the online claim.

Anyway ive made a claim for UC for both my wife, who is my carer receiving carers allowance, and for myself.

today I got a notification about claimers committment asking me about jobs i can do etc. Seems odd that as Im on state pension and severely disabled. Ive just put that on the online form and Im now hoping ive done the right thing.

This all seems so complicated to get what amounts o around 70 quid a week

Any advice going forward would be very welcome.
    Oh, just to add, I get PIP, mobility at the highest and living as standard

It's one of the stupid new rules with becoming a Mixed Age Couple.

Because the Housing Benefit was in your name as being 'passported from ESA' then when your ESA stopped the council were sent a 'Stop Notice' by the DWP and closed the HB claim.

As a mixed age couple the partner who is under SPA then has to make a claim for help with the housing, which now has to be for UC. (unless they have the SDP themselves).

And then, just to make things a bit more stupid, when the younger partner also reaches SPA the UC claim will (should) also stop because its a Working Age benefit and one of you will have to claim Housing Benefit again.

Don't worry about the UC Claimant Commitment for yourself, they can't give you any jobseeking conditionality if you are over SPA.
    Technically you shouldn't even be able to claim/receive UC if you are over SPA - its a Working Age benefit - but it does happen because (again stupidly) the UC computer has never been programmed to recognise that someone has reached SPA, and so the DWP fudge around it and just deduct the pension payments from UC.
    And of course the UC computer has never been programmed to recognise or cope with mixed age couples either, so more fudging is needed.

As your partner recieves Carers Allowance then she will/should not be expected to jobseek either.

Just for a bit more fun, because she gets CA you will also get a Carer Element automatically added to your UC payment, but the Carers Allowance will still be paid seperately and the money for that will then be deducted £ for £ from the UC payment.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

All good fun lol

I`ll keep this up to date as it goes along. could be of help to others in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    I`ll keep this up to date as it goes along. could be of help to others in the future.
    Please do, it's always interesting to see how the UC system is evolving and what glitches they have sorted out (and what new mistakes/glitches they are now making).

Ok today I got a letter my housing benefit. It appears I will get an added 2 weeks from the council.

Yes, there is now a two week run-on of both HB and ESA when you migrate to UC.

Although the ESA run-on may not apply here because it was your ESA stopping when you reached SPA that caused the change and you are not supposed to get ESA after SPA. It will depend on the specific wording if the run-on legislation.
    So it would be interesting to see if you also get a two week ESA run-on.

The good news is that UC Housing Element also gets paid for those two weeks so you get both and don't have to pay any back.

It's part of the measures meant to cushion the wait for the first UC payment.

Im sure this isnt insurmountable.

proof of identity. My wife has neither a passport nor a driving licence.

We obviously have our marriage certificate and she has a birth certificate. will these do?

I used to be in the same boat, no DL no passport.
    A few years ago I applied for and got a disability bus pass which has a photo, for me that has always been accepted as ID whenever someone asks for a driving licence.

Here is the list of ID accepted for a UC claim, you need at least one of the Primary list and 2 of the Secondary list.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5qZy6PaUTyuqGT

Presumably your wife has at least an ATM card for the account where UC is going to be paid into? As long as it has the account number and sort code on it then that is Primary evidence on that list.

If you don't have the required evidence then they can do a question/answer test to verify ID, this will take longer as they have to collect the information to be able to ask the questions.
    See page 4 of this which says:
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedP...dence_v4.0.pdf
    If the claimant does not have sufficient evidence to verify identification they must undergo biographical security questions / checks. The biographical test is considered as satisfied by the claimant if they successfully answer 3 random security questions out of a maximum of 5 drawn from available biographical data. At least one must be high level.
    It then goes on with a list of typical questions.

That is from 2016 so it may have changed a bit, especially with covid.

Also due to covid the ID checks have not usually been done at jobcentres unless absolutely necessary, most have been being done online using UK.Gov Verify, or over the phone.

That may change back to Jobcentres again, but as we are now having a second lockdown I doubt it will be for a while.

It's probably best to check with UC just what they are doing for ID checks at the moment, especially with the new lockdown.

That was all very helpful, thank you.

The documentary evidence is ready for the phone biometric interview on Friday.

Today i got communication that I will also be having a, "First Commitments," phone call on Saturday morning!

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    Today i got communication that I will also be having a, "First Commitments," phone call on Saturday morning!
    That should be a quick one then:

You - "I'm over State Pension Age".

Them - "Your Commitment is to read your journal regularly, and to inform us of any changes to your circumstances."