Thread: PIP report and ESA

PIP report and ESA

I have enhanced both rates for PIP ongoing and am in ESA Support group which has been deferred twice. I am 63 and have a lifelong condition which will not get better.
    I read somewhere - maybe a long while back that ESA can look at PIP award when making a decision or whether to reassess(and using ESA for PIP)
    Am I right or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Thanks

The DWP have tried it in the past and found that it doesn't work, because although the questions are similar for both what they are assing is quite different.
    PIP is about how you can cope with life in general, whereas ESA is only about if you can do any work or not. (So the answers you need to give to similar looking questions are quite different).

For instance PIP assesses if you can walk certain distances, ESA assesses if you can mobilise certain distances which includes if you used a wheelchair.

Many people with PIP still work, many people with ESA don't qualify for PIP.

Regardless of that the government changes and new MP's forget, or don't know, what has been tried in the past and so they are talking again about using one assessment for both.
    The only way that would work is to do both at the same time and ask almost twice as many questions, or drastically reword the questions to try and get twice as much information in the answers.

You can use a PIP award to support an ESA assessment, and vice-versa, but it's not that cut and dried.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks, Nukecad - DWP move in mysterious ways!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    they are assing
    It wasn't intended; but I think that is my best, most funny and most true, typo for a while.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.