Thread: LCWRA and carers element

Post LCWRA and carers element

Can anyone tell me please , if you get lcwra through universal credit and you are also entitled to CA , is this paid as the carer premium or does it count as an overlapping benefit, if so is worth still applying or not
    Last edited by Em81; 20-11-20 at 21:09.

CA is counted as an overlapping benefit with all IR benefits, and so any money paid as CA will be deducted £ for £ from UC payments.

However having CA gives you an automatic entitlement to the Carer Element in UC, an extra £162.92 a month.

You don't need to have CA to get the UC carer element, you just have to be caring for someone severly disabled for over 35 hours/week.
    The person being cared for has to be geting PIP/DLA, or Attendance Allowance/Constant Attendance Allowance. (I think AFIP may also qualify).
    Simply put on your UC claim, or you journal if already claiming, that you have carer responsibilites and they'll check the qualification.

If you uI]already[/u] have the Carer Element in UC then there is no real reason to apply for Carers Allowance seperately. (If/when awarded it will just be deducted from UC payments anyway).

PS. There are no 'Premiums' in UC, they are extra 'Elements'. It's a subtle difference.

PPS. Just in case anyone is wondering why, when it's an overlapping benefit, CA is not one of the benefits being migrated to UC -
    That's because CA is not means tested you can still get it however high your savings/capital or income from elsewhere, so you can still get it even if you don't qualify for UC.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.