Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Disability Scam

The Great Disability Scam

Next Monday 28th January, Panorama BBC at 8-30pm

"Only half of all people with a disability are in work. Panorama investigates if one of the government's most ambitious welfare reforms, costing billions of pounds, can solve the problem of disability unemployment. Reporter Sam Poling reveals the private companies who are getting rich from the new reforms despite only being able to get a small fraction of disabled people back to work, and speaks to the charities who feel the most vulnerable in our society are being failed."

Take away our DLA and it will make it harder for people with disabilities to work!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Exactly Paul,should be an interesting watch

They are taking money off the disabled to pay pen pushers/ assessors a wage to get disabled back into work - I am taking it that they would need extra staff for all the extra reforms??
    Sea Queen

Im probably reading too much into this but it seems from the bio, that this programme is following the idea that disabled people should be working and that they can't find jobs ('only half of all people with a disability are in work').

As we all know, that isn't the biggest disability scam going on.

What i find very frustrating is the total lack of jobs and employment that could so easily be done by the disabled working from home via a PC. So much of the administrative and call centre work is perfect for this, but instead they make you trudge to an office building that costs huge amounts of money to run. Travel costs to the employee are going up and up, yet, if we did jobs from home everybody would save money.
    Doing this would also give disabled people a more even playing field when applying for jobs. Maybe this is far too a simple solution for pen pushers to drum up? Afterall, solving things gives them less reason to exist!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPR View Post
    Next Monday 28th January, Panorama BBC at 8-30pm

"Only half of all people with a disability are in work. Panorama investigates if one of the government's most ambitious welfare reforms, costing billions of pounds, can solve the problem of disability unemployment. Reporter Sam Poling reveals the private companies who are getting rich from the new reforms despite only being able to get a small fraction of disabled people back to work, and speaks to the charities who feel the most vulnerable in our society are being failed."
    I hope this doesn't turn out to be another negative attitude thing.
    It implies that people who are sick and disabled aren't getting a fair deal when it comes to employment. All the sick and disabled I know would love to be well enough to work but can't. That's because there is no place for them in a purely capitalist society, profit before people.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I hope this doesn't turn out to be another negative attitude thing.
    It implies that people who are sick and disabled aren't getting a fair deal when it comes to employment. All the sick and disabled I know would love to be well enough to work but can't. That's because there is no place for them in a purely capitalist society, profit before people.
    wobble,dont know if will be another negative attitude thing.I watched Panorama last night regards immigration and at the end told you about next weeks programme

Agree with the rest of your post

Just remembered ironic really I have my first work focussed interview the following day

never hear about the benefits being paid to all the immigrants from IDS, they just take everything away from the disabled. When I applied for my DLA and Mobility I had to have a medical, now the government have decided to change the rules and get away with it. I am able to get to my doctors and hospital appointments through my mobility car, but the system that has been working is not good enough for the plebs. By the way see more redundancies from British Forces have been announced, wonder when it happens if the unemployment count will go up dont think so

It's very difficult for disabled people to get jobs due to disabling barriers like filling out applications in formats of their chice. Being educated to a high standard for a decent salary. And you have to compete on a level playing field when ten other non-disabled candidates are applying too.

The best way for a disabled person to get employment

- get skilled up. Find out what software companies use eg Microsoft Office.
    - Check out local big companies to you. Ask for the last Annual Report
    - find out which recruitment agency they use for temporary staff
    - get your name on temp agency recruitment agencies
    - do some volunteering - it looks better on your CV.
    - be proactive and find out the name of the companies HR department
    - send them an email or letter bullet pointing the BENEFITS TO THEM of taking you on as a temp
    - HR look for qualities like - enthusiasm, positive outlook, resourceful, team player, good inter-personal skills, flexibility, ability to go with the flow. They want to know what you can bring to the team. It doesn't matter if you can't do the job as they'll train and develop you.
    - network - find out from friends, relatives about possible vacancies coming up - you could approach them before they advertise. That's how I landed one job - I even told them what pay and package I wanted.

- don't expect work to come to you as suddenly you are the product and you have to sell yourself to an organisation.
    - look to the 'third sector' eg charities, not-for-profit organisations.

Not sure what this Panorama programme will throw up but I never relied on any agency to find me work because I customised every letter I sent to a company to make me stand out from the crowd. Despite being disabled from a late teenager I was only out of work once in 38 years through two other recessions too.

There is hope - but you make your own luck so don't be the victim if you want to work.