Thread: Innovation for Parking with Blue Badge

Innovation for Parking with Blue Badge

Hello,
    we are a team of product design engineering students at the Glasgow School of Art/University of Glasgow and are currently working on a project about daily journeys for the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
    For this project, we decided to develop something that stops people without a blue badge from using disabled parking spots. To do this, we came up with a concept for which we would really appreciate any sort of feedback from you.

General Information:
    - Our Concept uses the new regular blue badge being issued since 1 January 2012 but has an additional tag attached to it.
    - The new regular blue badge already has a unique code that is registered on a national database. Traffic wardens can access the national database for verification checks in order to tackle fraud.
    - The changes applied to disabled parking space: a parking post is placed at each disabled spot.

Procedure: Parking at a Disabled Parking Spot using our Concept
    1) Find a disabled parking spot as you normally would.
    2) Get the car into parking position. Proximity sensor automatically detects whether there is a car situated in the parking spot.
    3) Now two possibilities:
    - you have a blue badge with a tag attached to it: the parking post detects the signal sent from the tag and recognises that you are entitled to park here. It then gives you positive feedback that your badge was recognised. You can now leave the car and do everything like you normally would.
    - you don’t have a blue badge: the parking post detects that you are not entitled to park and a light goes off making the parking offender feel embarrassed and ashamed.
    4) Once you want to leave again, you simply drive away. The parking post automatically detects that you left and the next person is able to use the parking spot.

We would really appreciate every comment. Negative or positive. Any other ideas or comments are more than welcome as well. Thank you very much!

Hi

I do think your concept is a very good idea. It is one of my pet hates, finding someone wrongfully parked in blue badge spaces. However, I do think it would be better to devise it so that an invalid vehicle cannot park in the first place rather than embarrassing the driver onc parked. I doubt authorities would allow that.
    Would it not be better to have one of those metal bases that rise out of the ground stopping a vehicle from parking by rising up too high to drive over, then, when a valid blue badge is detected it enables the metal base to lower into the ground allowing the car to drive into the space?
    Good to see people thinking of us and trying to help. Good luck with your project.

Simply add number plate recognition and the offending driver can be automatically sent a parking fine ...

Whilst I welcome your trying to come up with a solution to a real problem, I echo Dolly's thoughts.

Unfortunately many of the people who park in these spaces without a badge would not care about a flashing light and certainly would not be embarrassed about it. Others would probably complain that their human rights are being abused as it is not illegal to park in these spaces without a badge on private land.

It needs a change in the law to make it illegal to park in these spaces without a badge so that offenders can then be fined. Find a way of hitting offenders in the pocket and then they will think twice about it, and not before.

I got the impression from the OP that it was targeting public roads rather than private.

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Simply add number plate recognition and the offending driver can be automatically sent a parking fine ...
    I have to say that's a better idea than the OP ( patent it quick) sorry OP.
    There is always going to be a problem with public and private. Many public sites are already policed by Traffic wardens/ Security. Private, such as supermarkets are very coy at offending shoppers by policing parking.
    Anyway, it's great what you guys are doing and we all appreciate a little caring, all the best with the project.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your replies. They were very helpful for us.

We finally decided that we will offer two different versions of the product: one with and one without number plate recognition. The main reason for this were the high costs if a camera is included. Thus, the councils would be able to decide whether it's worth to install one with a camera or not. For private car parks, we assume that the version without a camera will be installed if the parking space owner is interested in tackling the problem.

Thanks again.

Please look at my thread regarding the blue badge