Thread: ITV News bedroom tax

ITV News bedroom tax

Did anyone see this last night?
    Made me cry

http://www.itv.com/news/
    Sea Queen

The heartbreak and anguish that this is causing doesn't even touch the hard hearted b's.
    In most cases there are no properties to downsize to anyway so those that are in a position to move are between a rock and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    The heartbreak and anguish that this is causing doesn't even touch the hard hearted b's.
    In most cases there are no properties to downsize to anyway so those that are in a position to move are between a rock and a hard place.
    Its ridiculous. Even if there were enough 1 beds, the people that really need the extra bedroom would end up having to turn their living room into a bedroom.

If people really did not need an extra bedroom, then refused to move into a smaller property if one was available, then they should pay the bedroom tax, but they've said that the worst hit will be the ones that genuinely need it.

What are foster parents supposed to do. I didn't know about that until i just looked at the link sea queen posted. Saying that, i don't know of many foster families that rely on benefits, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

gale I know many foster carers who are or have been on benefits. This is mainly an unpaid job as they just get a maintenance for them, with many using some of their own money for the children they have. Foster carers will be lost by L/A's as they won't be able to pay for extra bedrooms for looked after children.
    As for using a living room for a bedroom if it has a gas fire in as many have they can't do it because of the carbon monoxide.
    This government will be the most disliked since Maggie!
    Sea Queen

I was told the bedroom tax has been brought in to make it fair to the people in private rented properties.
    Private rented has always been by the bedroom need. IE, a single person is entitled to 1 bedromm rent allowance so if in a bigger property they make up the difference.

To me the biggest injustice of this is the amount people are suddenly expected to pay a much smaller percentage would have been maybe a bit more acceptable. The other thing is they have totallly disregarded without any thought the individuals money situations, some may have taken on a small loan/hire purchase for household equipment which makes it much harder to manage extra rent/tax at the rates expected.
    If they had wanted to do this they should have made the new rules applicable for new tennants and left exhisting tennants alone - so people knew where they stood money wise, made the percentage smaller. They have changed the goal posts and people are getting hurt.
    They are just railroading their way through to get as much back in as little time as possible.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and our economy won't be sorted in their time of office either.
    Sorry just so cross about this.
    Sea Queen

Just to add - I have recieved a booklet today and the government are paying 5m to help assist foster carers pay their bedroom tax.
    Sea Queen

Account removed
    In my area of Wales your sign an agreement if you have a council house, one section says if your have a two bedroom or larger and you become a single occupier, the council can move you to a smaller property, in all my years of helping out at a charity I know of nobody that has been moved because single unit flats are like gold dust down here. The only people who are moved are those in the four or five bedrooms...