Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for Wheelchair user

One for Wheelchair user

I'm new to this site and to the thing that's gave me back some sort of mode of getting around is my wheelchair. I'm so grateful I would never think about giving it up, but to my problem, I been pushing and being pushed around ( most of my life) which is great, but I started to get some pain in my left thumb so went online bought a thumb/wrist strap, that sorted out the pain, it's just hard and much slower to get around ( and miss the postman) but I did, it's now my thumb, it's still let's say tender but my thumb is so much smaller, so my problem is do I take off the strap and go back to being in pain with that or do I carry on and not worry about as it will sort it self out?

PS I do have padded gloves, but I have an aluminium outer wheel grip thing, it's good outside but my hands sweat so much in side with them on, I've spent almost £100 on three different kinds of glove, some I still have, some are worn out.

PPS I've been a wheelchair user from about October last year, the thumb thing been going on now for five to six weeks.

Get a pair of weight lifters gloves, these are the gloves most of us use when we are playing sport in wheelchairs they are able to breath, if your hands sweat then use some talc in the gloves you can then keep on your thump protection.

Not too sure what this 'pain' is you are having.
    What I can tell you is my daughter has only the use of one hand and so uses the left to compensate. The result it is is now having regular yearly injections for pain in the thumb joint as it is wearing down with the overwork it's done. Eventually she will have to have an operation. xrays show that the thunb joint is currently 'bone on bone' on one side, so not sure how long it will be before she has to have the op.
    I would get it checked out.
    Sea Queen

Treborc thanks but I have all different pairs but to no avail.

Queenie, sorry to hear about your Daughter, I hope something gets sorted out for her sake, makes me sound silly now, but mines nerve pain, the slightest of touch and it feels as though I just put my thumb into fiery hot hole\ electric wire the last bit is where my hand just pulls away, so it takes away from me my independence and also looks silly just going around in circles, mind you my public love, they can't stop laughing, must remember to take an hat with me.

Then you do need the nerve which is causing this destroyed or moved, I have the same in my left hand my fingers were feeling like they were red hot and painful, I had a test to my arm they found the nerve and they actually moved it took ten minutes small operation and my hand is now numb, what I have to watch now is my fingers in the wheel of the chair, I have broken it twice without knowing

Well that sounds..... Like an option, disable thing you seem to end in a lose lose rather then stay the same, if that makes any kind of sense. Hayho.

I've not got pain is that not what you want.

I was not saying anything about you Treboc, just in general, I was trying and badly, to say you either have pain or have no feeling, which is like frying pan and fire, as you said yourself you broke your hand twice was it.

NO your OK it was me not saying in good English what I was meaning in a hurry actually.

Pain I find is soul destroying especially if it's nerve pain your fingers can have a burning feeling which is caused by Nerves, they can move the nerves in your arm which will cause this feeling, I had mine moved and injected to destroy them, but normally moving the nerve will cure the burning pain.

It's a very simple test which is done by placing pads on your arms which sends a small tinglings sensation through the nerves.

No need to suffer pains in your fingers mind was so bad my fingers were like they were on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    NO your OK it was me not saying in good English what I was meaning in a hurry actually.

Pain I find is soul destroying especially if it's nerve pain your fingers can have a burning feeling which is caused by Nerves, they can move the nerves in your arm which will cause this feeling, I had mine moved and injected to destroy them, but normally moving the nerve will cure the burning pain.

It's a very simple test which is done by placing pads on your arms which sends a small tinglings sensation through the nerves.

No need to suffer pains in your fingers mind was so bad my fingers were like they were on fire.
    I know what you mean about nerve pain being soul destroying.

I have peripheral neuropathy which is MUCH worse in my legs and especially my feet. The pain is constant and if its not a burning sensation or like you Treborc them feeling on fire, then i get excruciating 'electric shocks' that make me scream out in pain.

I'm on the maximum dose of all my tablets and although they work a bit in relation to my hands, they do very little to help the pain in my feet.

Unfortunately, as its a large number of nerves thats effected i can't get them removed. I'm on antidepressants, but i'm struggling to find some that actually work.