Thread: Housing benefit changes

Housing benefit changes

Could someone please put me right about this. A neighbour has just been to ask me if there are going to be changes to housing benefit, ie; getting less housing benefit, as well as the under occupancy charges ( bedroom Tax ). She is on ir esa and the letter states that she will have to pay £14.73 but does not mention under occupancy charges?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
    Could someone please put me right about this. A neighbour has just been to ask me if there are going to be changes to housing benefit, ie; getting less housing benefit, as well as the under occupancy charges ( bedroom Tax ). She is on ir esa and the letter states that she will have to pay £14.73 but does not mention under occupancy charges?
    people are looking at a possible 2 charges the under occupancy charges, then there is council tax charges even when in the past 100% was paid for them they are looking at a possible 20 to 25% of the bill now needing to be paid even if sick disabled or on low income

The new local Council Tax scheme will require people who claim CTB to pay 8.5% of their Council Tax liability.
    There are several changes to HB with the new Local Housing Allowance. As well as the 'bedroom tax' for excess bedrooms, there is a reduction in weekly allowances, and an increase in non-dependant deductions.
    The 'under occupancy' charge maybe relates to private rented property? The 'bedroom tax' is a fixed rate reduction of 14% of HB for one extra bedroom, and 25% of HB for 2 or more extra bedrooms. Full HB for private rented houses can be restricted anyway when the rent is considered to be excessive. Without knowing whether this lady is in private or LA rented housing it is impossible to know what might be happening.