Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with carers allowance

Help with carers allowance

Hello everyone, it would be great if someone can advise me on this situation.

So I live her with my grandmother and mother. I used to work until August, left my job, had an injury and went on ESA until the start of the year (I am no longer in receipt of it).

My mother suffers from parkinsons disease and for years I have been helping with her care (keeping her company in the day, cooking for her, holding her up when she wants to walk to places around the house, getting her drinks, taking her to town, going to appointments with her). My grandmother who was the main carer a few years back was told she couldnt get carer's allowance because she gets a pension of more than £100 a week. At that time I also would not of been able to get it since I was earning £100 a week when I worked.

Now I am not getting any income (ESA stopped in FEB as I am better) I feel I have the rights to claim carers allowance since I do look after my mum for nearly 40 hours per week (well whenever I am in the house I am nearly constantly doing things for her)

What I know:
    I would qualify for it
    I would get around £60 per week

Things I would like to know:

How difficult is the claims process? My mother doesnt want more assessments and things like that since. She actually worrys about them poking her and examining her and would not want me claiming it if she has to go through that.

How much money will she lose out on? She currently gets middle rate DLA and it says on the governments website that if I claimed Carers allowance for my mother, her DLA would be reduced.

Would I be assessed?

Finally, would they backdate it to the date I stopped receiving ESA?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Careruk26; 03-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.

OK - the first thing to consider is that as long as your Mum has been living with anyone - whether it be you, your Grandmother, or both of you, she wouldn't have been receiving the Severe Disability Premium on her Income Support/Pension Credit anyway. So regardless of whether anyone has - is - or plans to - claim Carers Allowance for looking after her there would be no change in your Mums' benefits.
    She would certainly nor lose any DLA either. The information you have read on the website has either been misleading or misunderstood.
    She would not be required to have any assessment. That would only happen if her DLA came up for renewal or review, and would be nothing at all to do with someone elses claim for Carers.
    You would not be assessed for your Carers Allowance claim, and could ask for it to be backdated for 3 months. The only proof needed is that your Mum would have to countersign your claim to confirm that you are - and have been - caring for her for the required time, and that she understands that she may lose some Income Support/Pension Credit. But as she can't have been receiving that extra anyway she has nothong to lose.

Thanks so much for your answer, spot on.

I'll get the claim in right away now

Quote Originally Posted by Careruk26 View Post
    Thanks so much for your answer, spot on.

I'll get the claim in right away now
    You can also claim Income Support as a Carer so get that claim in as well. The Carers Allowance form asks if you claim any other benefits make sure you put down that you claimed income support (I/S). Carers Allowance then notifies I/S of any award.

Income Support as a carer is £71 a week plus £32.60 carer premium less the £58.45 Carer Allowance you get paid separately.

There is an online application form on the gov website
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/how-to-claim
    I used this and it was very quick and easy to complete.

Thank you both, will get that form completed tonight.

For income support would that mean I have to phone them to put that claim in and then of course as you say Duncan, put down about IS on the CA form?

thanks

edit: keep getting "There was an error while trying to submit your claim." when trying to submit it online - Worked today. Ticked IS on the form too but havent applied for it yet as offices are shut, will phone them on Monday
    Last edited by Careruk26; 03-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

You mentioned someone wasn't getting CA because she has a pension. Occupational pensions do not affect entitlement to CA, only earnings (and sometimes other benefits).

Remember, you can backdate a CA claim for up to 3 months. If you satisfy the criteria throughout this period and haven't backdated it, you may wish to contact the CA unit and ask them.

You need to claim IS separately - claim on the phone, you don't need to tell the CA unit you are claiming IS.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    You mentioned someone wasn't getting CA because she has a pension. Occupational pensions do not affect entitlement to CA, only earnings (and sometimes other benefits).

Remember, you can backdate a CA claim for up to 3 months. If you satisfy the criteria throughout this period and haven't backdated it, you may wish to contact the CA unit and ask them.

You need to claim IS separately - claim on the phone, you don't need to tell the CA unit you are claiming IS.
    CA is affected by pensions as both are taxable depending on your pension you could end up paying tax

Thanks davewhit, you're quite right. My point here was that getting pensions isn't something that the carers allowance unit take into account when identifying entitlement. As it's taxable, there could indeed be tax to pay on it.

Sorry the £102.60 i.s/ cp less the c.a of £58.45 leaves just £44.15 if maths correct? Is that all you,d get a week for caring for someone?