Thread: allotment gardening for all

anitapayne

allotment gardening for all

Hi
    I have half an allotment which I find has helped me over the years with my mental health problems.As a member of the committee I am looking at how our allotment can be user friendly to groups in the community therefore I would be grate ful for any ideas, comments e.t.c.
    thank you
    Anita P

Have you tried contacting the Green Gym? Used to be a partnership between BTCV and Primary Care Trust but its changed now.
    User friendly? Paths, available seating (for us of feeble limbs) loos (VERY often lacking on allotments) a compost loo wd do!
    Sensory garden for visually impaired. Raised beds for wheelchair users. Often disabled folks don't take on allotment....its too big a task! but a shared one....theres an idea.

I'd love an allotment but it would have to be very small as I couldn't cope with much. The main problem I would have would be with bending over and doing digging etc. I have considered applying for the smallest size available (quarter plot or whatever) but the difficulty would be with getting it ready for planting. when you take on a new allotment it's often been neglected for some time so requires a fair bit of work like digging and weeding before you can really get planting. what would be great for me would be some sort of supported allotment where there was help available to get you started and to do some of the arduous work, especially at the outset. A sort of mentor if you like. I don't know whether such a thing exists anywhere. I don't have a garden so grow in pots but I long for a piece of land to call my own. Just not up to the amount of work required.

allotment...but not alone

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I'd love an allotment but it would have to be very small as I couldn't cope with much. The main problem I would have would be with bending over and doing digging etc. I have considered applying for the smallest size available (quarter plot or whatever) but the difficulty would be with getting it ready for planting. when you take on a new allotment it's often been neglected for some time so requires a fair bit of work like digging and weeding before you can really get planting. what would be great for me would be some sort of supported allotment where there was help available to get you started and to do some of the arduous work, especially at the outset. A sort of mentor if you like. I don't know whether such a thing exists anywhere. I don't have a garden so grow in pots but I long for a piece of land to call my own. Just not up to the amount of work required.
    See my remark in this thread about the existence of the Green Gym. Also look up the Garden Share scheme. Its often run by your local transition town. here in Telford, it exists to match ppl who have land they can't use with ppl who would like to use more land. Here however they have a lack of gardeners! and a surplus of ppl who can't manage their own plots! Consider possibly that an allotment may be a step too far. I'm having to come to terms with poss giving up a GARDEN as can't bend, dig, weed, cut the grass, trim the hedges.....basically its down to pots for me and I need help to set them up. You can only do wot your body lets you!

As @reddivine stated, network.. Look at up the local Trust for Conservation Volunteers our lot now help maintain the local park.

WIDE paths, and Square Foot raised beds are the answer, also, if your on the committee, whats the local allotments officer doing for you.

If you need initial costs, sleepers, material for paths there may be grants available, or a well planned Plant Sale can raise funding (our site gets around 700 quid for about 2 hours of plant, seed, cake and tea sales in the car park)

Also lookup the Landshare project.. You have the land, they help with the growing, and you share the produce. Just be sure this isn't seen as subletting..
    http://www.landshare.net/

Good luck