Thread: Extra bedroom for carer and extra bedroom tax

Unhappy Extra bedroom for carer and extra bedroom tax

Hi. I just joined the site today. I'm a single disabled person living in a 2 bed council property. I moved from 1 bedroom to 2 because I needed a room for a carer. With the new tax for extra room, can anyone advise if housing can charge the new tax if the extra room is for a carers use. Please help.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by lshameed View Post
    Hi. I just joined the site today. I'm a single disabled person living in a 2 bed council property. I moved from 1 bedroom to 2 because I needed a room for a carer. With the new tax for extra room, can anyone advise if housing can charge the new tax if the extra room is for a carers use. Please help.
    to not pay the tax you will have to have a good case to prove that you need the extra room and that it is used, ie payments to someone to stay via a company or from your dla letter from dr ect ect each council will have its own system on working out if you are allowed extra bedroom you need to talk to them, if they say NO appeal

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    to not pay the tax you will have to have a good case to prove that you need the extra room and that it is used, ie payments to someone to stay via a company or from your dla letter from dr ect ect each council will have its own system on working out if you are allowed extra bedroom you need to talk to them, if they say NO appeal
    I could send a copy of my care plan and/or a letter from my social worker showing night time care requirement and see if that helps. If not I could appeal. Thank you for your help.