Thread: change of address mistake

dannyg400

change of address mistake

Hi everyone,

i am new to the forum so i hope i'm posting in the right place??

I am in receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance (now IB?) and the lowest level of the care component of DLA. I suffer from a condition called Fabry Disease which is an invisible condition but can be very disabling indeed. I have been on the benefits for a long time (after a hell of a battle to get on them as i didn't fit one of their 'boxes') and haven't been able to work to any meaningful level for all of my adult life.

In 2002 i started on a treatment which has slowly improved my condition and have been able to get back into education in 2007 following a very disrupted traditional education. There was again a hell of a fight to maintain my benefits when i began University with the loss of income support as they saw my student loans as income??? (not that i'm bitter about that).

I moved house for term time and was back at my old address for the rest of the year and was advised to leave my address as before by DWP as it was still my permanent address.

About two years ago i had to give up my flat in my home town as i couldn't afford it. My permanent address is now my University address but unfortunately i forgot to inform DWP. I realise this i wrong but it's got to the point now that i'm worried if i tell them i will lose my benefits.

So i'm left in the position where i want to tell them but do i tell them the date i left my old address and risk losing my benefits from that date and potentially having to pay it all back or do i tell them that i've just moved and hope they don't check (the old address was a council property)?

I don't expect anybody to advise me to be dishonest and that's not my intention but i've really got myself into a situation i don't know how to get out of and the longer i leave it the worse it gets, especially in light of these new changes and cuts in the welfare system.

if you don't correct your address and any benefit letters go to the old one and are not picked up then you risk your benefit been stopped.

i know it sounds horrible but you do need to update your address esp with DLA been changed to PIP as it is not automatic transfer and you could simply find that once the change over comes in your dla may be stopped through you not knowing about the changes.