Thread: Knee Replacement

Knee Replacement

Hi everyone. Has anyone had a knee replacement op? I go in for mine next week. I am concerned because I live alone - will I manage. I already have limited mobility and obviously struggle with daily tasks. Has anyone been in a similar position? Did they cope? Do you think I will have to arrange for someone to come to stay for a while, or maybe stay with family. I am on the point of cancelling my op because I am worried that I may be struggling too much. Dilemma!! I really need the replacement, but am getting anxious now. Your advice and exeriences would be invaluable. Thanks, Susie

You will be assessed before you go home and help should be put in place. You will not be discharged until you are deemed safe.
    Get the replacement done, don't put it off.

I am actually in the same boat but hoping to get a splint to put me on.

Thanks beau. Will let you all know how it goes.

Just wanted to say hope all goes well .

HI Susie,I have had both knees replaced & I couldn't go home until I was able to go up & down a set of stairs & I had to have someone with me at home before I was discharged so if you live on your own they will arrange for aids for to help you, I got a toilet seat raiser (an absolute godsend!!) a push along trolley & a shower seat, DO NOT be afraid to ask for help.

Hi all, thanks for your advice and support. I am now discharged from hospital and when I was asked who lives with me, I replied "I live alone", and that was it. I had to request to see OT who informed me they do not provide aids for knee replacement patients, only hip! So, I insisted bearing in mind my other mobility issues. So, within 2 hours of my arrival at home, a toilet seat riser and frame were delivered, together with a perching stool and shower seat. However I found it impossible to manage on my own, I could not even get my leg in and out of bed lol. So I am staying now with my sister and her family and am progressing reasonably well. The physio at the hospital knee clinic (a week after discharge) was an absolute bully, and took away one of my crutches. I told her I needed 2 because the muscles in operated leg do not work, but she said "you will soon get used to it". I picked up my second crutch, hobbled out saying I will not be returning and will attend my own physio.

Thanks anddrivall, I am now home again, and still finding it a bit difficult, however, slow but sure gets the job done. Physio on Monday so hopefully this one will not be a bully. I borrowed one of sister's old crutches, so still using two because my knee keeps going backwards and I stumble. Will give progress reports as and when.

Hi dizzydee (love the name lol) It is now 8 weeks post op, and I still get a lot of pain, there is still swelling, and I have a large area of numbness. However, I have a real problem with nerve pain. The surface is like a bad scald and I can't bear my clothing to come into contact with it. My friend's husband has even put together a frame for the bed so my duvet doesn't touch my knee. I wonder how long this is going to last because it is driving me round the bend. GP came yesterday, and new meds are helping a bit. When the meds have kicked in, the bending is quite good, but, when pain at its worst, I can't bend or straighten. This on top of other pain etc, I will never have the other one done, I will never go through this again.

OMG, yes I had it done by Mr Shaikh at the Pilgrim. I chose there because my daughter lives in Boston. Thanks for this info. I will try to have more patience with the recovery. The oramorph is now doing the trick, and I feel much more comfortable now.