Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 4x4?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ View Post
    Hi,

Yes it would but sadly the Pathfinder is not available on the scheme nowadays. Infact the lack of larger 4x4's (capable of easily carrying a powerchair/hoist etc) available on the scheme nowadays really means that I have to compromise somewhere in my choice of vehicle. Last time I changed cars (although most were quite expensive AP wise) there was much more choice available.

Anyway, I visited the Audi/VW dealer and the Honda dealer yesterday.

I ruled out the Honda more or less straight away as due to the very low rear roofline inside the car my chair/hoist would not fit (fortunately I again took my tape measure with me and was in the powerchair as the salesman didn't have a clue). Sadly it was the same with the Audi Q3 which although I really liked, it was both too low at the rear and it would have cost a small fortune with the optional extras that I would need on the SE trim level which compared with other vehicles was pretty basic.

So, in reality I am down to a choice of two vehicles, either the Ford Kuga or the VW Tiguan.

Of these. the Ford Kuga 2.0 Diesel Titanium X Auto seems the best value as it has a really high spec for its £1109 Advance Payment. I would only need to add a couple of extras. Whereas the VW Tiguan 2.0 SE Diesel Auto is more expensive at £1314 and being more basic I would need to spend double that in extras.

However the Tiguan does have an electronic Diff lock available which is very handy particularly in the deep snow we have had up here in the dales this past few years. My current Discovery has this fitted and it has been a godsend.

For either the Kuga or Tiguan I would also need to purchase a set of winter tyres (as well as the fitted simmer tyres) which again were not needed on the Discovery which came with all weather tyres. Hopefully I would be able to find a second hand set of wheels to fit the winter tyres as this will save having to swap the tyres between rims every autumn/spring.

The VW dealer is not confident of being able to source an automatic Tiguan for a test drive, whereas I have already driven an automatic Kuga.

Mmmmm Decisions,Decisions!!!

Colin
    Take it your on the war pension scheme, if so there is the Hyundai ix35 and suzuki grand vitara, would a manual with adaptions be a option.

Quote Originally Posted by pg1973 View Post
    Take it your on the war pension scheme, if so there is the Hyundai ix35 and suzuki grand vitara, would a manual with adaptions be a option.
    Hi,

I had already looked at both of those and the Kia as well but had ruled them out for various reasons. For example in the Suzuki, it was just too narrow internally between the wheels for the hoist and chair to fit. The wheels being close to the rear meaning the hoist/chair combination would need to be side by side. If the internal wheelspace has been a fit further forward or even backwards it would have been fine as it had the right height. I need an auto as I have to use hand controls (I have no left leg or right foot).

Colin
    Last edited by ColinJ; 04-11-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ View Post
    Hi,

I had already looked at both of those and the Kia as well but had ruled them out for various reasons. For example in the Suzuki, it was just too narrow internally between the wheels for the hoist and chair to fit. The wheels being close to the rear meaning the hoist/chair combination would need to be side by side. If the internal wheelspace has been a fit further forward or even backwards it would have been fine as it had the right height. I need an auto as I have to use hand controls (I have no left leg or right foot).

Colin
    The only reason i was saying about adaptions is you may of been able to go for a manual with hand controls added with help from the grants dept at motability. But obviously an auto is the only option.
    Last edited by pg1973; 04-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Hi Colin,

I would be really interested in your views of the Kuga and the size of your chair as I'm in a similar position in regards of using a powerchair. I've been considering the use of a turny seat, think that is what its called, and thus replace the power chair.

Motability need to look at improving the 4x4's on the scheme
    A lot of users are having the same problem. I understand the price of the vehicles will limit what they can offer. I just think they could make some type of compromise for users who need a hoist & chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam79 View Post
    Motability need to look at improving the 4x4's on the scheme
    A lot of users are having the same problem. I understand the price of the vehicles will limit what they can offer. I just think they could make some type of compromise for users who need a hoist & chair.
    I agree with you Adam.

Last time (nearly 3 years ago) I found the perfect vehicle for my needs, the Landrover Discovery. It was expensive Advance Payment wise but it met my all needs perfectly so I didn't mind the expensive AP.

This time, due to the lack of larger 4x4's my choice is not only very limited but no matter which vehicle I eventually choose it is going to be a compromise one way or the other. I don't think Motability are fully meeting the needs of disabled people anymore.

Colin.

They can't fully meet the needs for people with disabilities and it's all down to THAT article in the Daily Mail back in October 2011
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-drives.html
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I wonder why some 4x4's are not on the scheme? If the cars are to be around 25 grand why not have a freelander or a Rav 4 on the scheme?

Well having done a few visits to dealers and spoken to such as Land Rover UK and Nissan UK, it looks like I may actually leave the Motability Scheme and lease or buy a vehicle privately.

Fortunately I do have enough money to be able to buy outright or at least pay a substantial deposit. Land Rover offer a Forces Discount (which also applies to veterans although on the website it says it doesn't!) as do Nissan via the Forces Discount Card which offers in the region of a 30% saving of list price. Plus I will get a years free insurance with the Land Rover Discovery. Alternatively leasing a Nissan X-Trail will also give one years free insurance and a generous 75,000 miles over the 3 years.

For the Land Rover, the dealer will swap my wheelchair hoist and restraints etc over completely free, but Nissan may make a small charge.

Over three years, I was surprised how evenly the finances would work out between buying/leasing privately and leasing through Motability - just a case of negotiating hard. I think car dealers are currently suffering a lack of orders so doing a decent deal is entirely possible at the moment.

As Motability cannot meet my needs without a compromise or two somewhere it looks like I will soon be a former Motability customer.

Colin