Thread: ESA Rates

ESA Rates

I am currently on ESA im in the assesment phase which i have been on for13 weeks but only just had my medical i have just read after week 14 there is an increase but does this only happen once you have had your medical and are put into one pf the two groups?

Yes, once you've had your assessment you will (eventually) be allocated to the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group, which will attract the additional premium. Or you might be found to have no entitlement to ESA in which case you may consider appealing.

Yep. After 13 weeks in the assessment phase, provided you've done what JCP/ATOS has asked - usually a questionnaire and a face to face interview - the JCP decision maker will decide whether you are fit for work, whether you are currently too sick to work but could think about returning at some point (work-related activity group) or whether you're too sick for there to be any realistic prospect of returning to work (support group).

If you're entitled to a component, you should get it backdated to the end of the 13 week assessment phase.

Lots of people are being turned down for ESA at the moment, so you may want to appeal the decision if you think it's wrong. Even if you're turned down for the benefit, you can get the assessment phase rate paid while you're waiting for your tribunal hearing and you have a month to appeal from the date of notification.