Thread: Motability & used cars

Motability & used cars

I do not really know how to used forums, so am just hoping for the best. I took great interest in FLUFFY BUBBLES comments about the Motobility scheme. FLUFFY tells us that Motability or whatever are deceptive and I am inclined to believe this.

Last year I took out a 3 years lease for a new Agila which in 3 years time will have cost me £7,500 and NO car at the end. I am attempting to back out of this deal because I really cannot afford this in todays climate. However, my husband has been to 3 garages and all say the buying of a used car on Motability has ended. FLUFFY BUBBLES insists this is not true. Who is right? who is wrong? Nowhere can I find the answer.

You can still use your DLA HRM to buy 2nd hand using Motability's HP (Hire Purchase) scheme.

First give Motability a call and ask them.
    I wouldn't rely on dealerships for answers, most of the time I've known more about the cars they are selling than they do, so the chances of them being Motability experts is low.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thank you so much, I notice that you seem to be quite an expert on Motability. Much appreciate your time in replying, very nice guy. I feel like going on a crusade!! I see that Motability is in a way actually not making things easy for people. I am paying £220 a month for motability, a lot of money. People with lower incomes need this money, I know I do. A used car would be cheaper for me in the long run. Once again you are a diamond!! Thanks.

A bit of background to my own history.

The first 3 years of claiming DLA I used the money to finance a second hand car on a PCP (Personal Contract Plan) finance scheme, after 3 years we paid the final payment of around £3500 to buy the car outright - this was private and nothing to do with Motability.

The second 3 years I used the money to lease a Qashqai on the Motability scheme.

I'm now 1 year into my third 3 year contract again leasing through the Motability scheme.

The reason I didn't go private was that I drive over 10,000 miles a year just commuting to work and so needed a car that can be relied on, plus as I now need to drive an auto and we will be (hopefully) having kids late this year so the car needs to be family and disability friendly.
    I just couldn't afford to use the HP scheme to cover the costs of a similar vehicle, especially if anything went wrong with the auto gearbox.
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I must say you are a pretty good advocate for this forum. Driving over 10,000 miles per year you would need a decent car and now with kids you need reliability. I only drive to stores and back, nothing more, but this site and you have got me into gear, excuse the pun. Today my husband visited 3 garages, who all stated they were no longer doing used cars on the Motability scheme. But you were RIGHT. Each one of the Managers at the salesrooms called Motability with the number my husband gave them. Each one was proved WRONG, and they all had to admit defeat. Each one then offered him a used car on Motability, which he refused because we found a garage that agreed Motability on a used car immediately. Thank you so much Paul and keep up this good work. Without this forum I would have been lost. PS Motability also agreed to take back my leased car 2 years early with no charge for ending my lease.

Hi Zirov, I'm glad it's all worked out for you and your husband, and so quickly.

I don't have kids just yet, we are on the adoption process but our Social worker has intimated we should have a little girl before Christmas , we can't wait.

This forum, especially the motoring section takes my mind off things and I love being able to help others in need. I'm just glad my knowledge has helped you and others in similar situations.
    Motability Car History

Paul - taking your mind off things has certainly helped others - to a great degree, and again you should be damn proud of yourself. Perhaps struggling with your own problems you are still helping others. Congratulations on the hoped for little girl - I am sure you will be a good and patient parent and hope your Christmas gift is exactly what you want.

Bless you Paul - thanks.