Thread: ESA Entitlement ?

Question ESA Entitlement ?

Hi, please can somebody tell me if I am luck enough to pass the Atos Medical Assessment would I even be entitled to receive ESA. I have been on IB for 15 years with spine/back problems (spondylolethsesis) which is a disabling condition and affects me daily. I have my medical next week. I am married and my husband works - I have read that in a situation like this I would not be entitled to ESA. If this is correct I do not see any point in going through the stress and worry of the medical assessment. Please help, any information will be appreciated.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah777 View Post
    Hi, please can somebody tell me if I am luck enough to pass the Atos Medical Assessment would I even be entitled to receive ESA. I have been on IB for 15 years with spine/back problems (spondylolethsesis) which is a disabling condition and affects me daily. I have my medical next week. I am married and my husband works - I have read that in a situation like this I would not be entitled to ESA. If this is correct I do not see any point in going through the stress and worry of the medical assessment. Please help, any information will be appreciated.
    IMO if you move to ESA and was in wrag you would be paid 365 days if you get support group it would be paid as long as in group

You say that you are currently receiving Incapacity Benefit. Ok, so I presume that you are being migrated to ESA. IMO it is defo worth persuing your claim, regardless of whether your husband works. Basically, if you pass the medical assessment there are 2 scenarios as i see it.

1, you are placed in the WRAG group, entitled to ESA for 365 days while the DWP try to find you work.
    2, you are placed in the Support Group and get ESA on a continuous basis until the DWP re-assess you again and then who knows.

Even if you fail the assessment, you can appeal. As you say, you have been on IB for 15 years. What have you got to lose.

Worst case scenario, you fail the assessment. But you can appeal their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    You say that you are currently receiving Incapacity Benefit. Ok, so I presume that you are being migrated to ESA. IMO it is defo worth persuing your claim, regardless of whether your husband works. Basically, if you pass the medical assessment there are 2 scenarios as i see it.

1, you are placed in the WRAG group, entitled to ESA for 365 days while the DWP try to find you work.
    2, you are placed in the Support Group and get ESA on a continuous basis until the DWP re-assess you again and then who knows.

Even if you fail the assessment, you can appeal. As you say, you have been on IB for 15 years. What have you got to lose.

Worst case scenario, you fail the assessment. But you can appeal their decision.
    Referring to your point number one, what do you mean the DWP try to find you work? It sounds like you are saying the DWP will find you a job?

Lol, I think that thats their ultimate goal, try as they may. Let us not forget the millions of able bodied unemployed. Bless 'em.

So you don't actually know??

I've been put in the WRAG and the last thing I want to read is that the DWP will make me find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    So you don't actually know??

I've been put in the WRAG and the last thing I want to read is that the DWP will make me find a job.
    I think ivb was being ironic and tongue in cheek.
    However, that is the aim of putting people into wrag and wfi is to "help us" back to work, which for some will be more intense "help" than others.

My point is really that people should think about how they word things because others will get the wrong information and this can create extra stress.

I know that being in the WRAG does not mean they will try find me a job - someone else might not and take ivb's comment at face value.

if i'm placed in WRAG i would have to try and get work (even if it would seriously impact my health) i'm same as the first poster my partner works but only earns just over the amount he can get working tax credit for with a morgage and full council tax to pay we would go under this 1 year CB is a joke the lady who phoned me about changing to esa asked if i had a partner it makes me wonder if they check to see if you're partner is working then stick you in either jsa knowing you're not able or wrag knowing after a year you get nothing i would not put anything pass them