Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would this be classed as discrimination from Lloyds Bank???

Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar

Angry Would this be classed as discrimination from Lloyds Bank???

We went in to our local branch of Lloyds bank to ask about opening a current account, their first question was "Do you work?"

I answered "No, I am my husband's full time carer and we are both on Disbility Living Allowance."

The woman then told me that I would only be able to open a basic account, as they don't accept benefit recipients for current accounts, and that we would only be able to do this by making an online application and then have to wait for them to send out the paperwork, which we then have to sign and send back before our accounts are opened.

So not only do they reject benefit recipients for current accounts, but they don't even give you the courtesy to set up the only account that they allow, the basic account in a face to face appointment which would then be up and running the same day.

This was all verbal, had I known what response I was going to get I would have recorded it. I was absolutely shocked and felt so ashamed and so small, I left there completely gob-smacked......

Has anyone else come accross this sort of treatment from services, banks, or anywhere else???

With legal aid being almost completely eradicated, how long will it be before we start seeing this sort of thing across the board???

FM
    Expect the worst and hope for the best!!!

Erm, but you do work. You are your husband's full time carer for which the state pays you.

try and get a private property to rent in our area and soon mention of benefits, they only want references some up to 4 and guarantor one wanted 2 different ones and to be honest some of the properties we viewed were run down shacks! forgot to add one even wanted 6 months rent because we weren't working!

as for banks you could go around a few building societies they do seem to be a bit better. i tried lloyds years ago when working and if people remember they were with tsb the bank that likes to say yes but even when working they said 'NO'

interesting that they wouldn't take on people with benefits yet you can go in and open a child bank account.

is this pointing to anti-propaganda with benefits which this government has been pushing along with the press?

I think it is indicative of the whole perception surrounding those of us on benefits. Thanks to this goverment, media etc, we seem to be the lowest of the low in society. I think it is discriminating. If you are on DLA etc, you have a regular income. Ok, that benefit could be stopped. But, likewise, if you are working, you could lose your job, be made redundant, become sick etc. So how is working more of a guaranteed income? Especially in todays economic climate.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I was refused a debt card form Abbey, now Santander as I was not working and living on benefits and I was told to try again in four weeks time, still refused, so I wrote to head office and complained.
    Letter three days later telling me that a debt card was on the way to me, that afternoon I had a delivery on a very large basket of fruit and a bottle of wine.
    Why have we got to jump hoops when we are just disabled.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Force_Majeure_007*** View Post
    We went in to our local branch of Lloyds bank to ask about opening a current account, their first question was "Do you work?"

I answered "No, I am my husband's full time carer and we are both on Disbility Living Allowance."

The woman then told me that I would only be able to open a basic account, as they don't accept benefit recipients for current accounts, and that we would only be able to do this by making an online application and then have to wait for them to send out the paperwork, which we then have to sign and send back before our accounts are opened.

So not only do they reject benefit recipients for current accounts, but they don't even give you the courtesy to set up the only account that they allow, the basic account in a face to face appointment which would then be up and running the same day.

This was all verbal, had I known what response I was going to get I would have recorded it. I was absolutely shocked and felt so ashamed and so small, I left there completely gob-smacked......

Has anyone else come accross this sort of treatment from services, banks, or anywhere else???

With legal aid being almost completely eradicated, how long will it be before we start seeing this sort of thing across the board???

FM
    had you taken with you gas bills electric bills water bills to show you live where you claimed ?that would be needed by law these days as would letters showing the benefits you get ?

its hard for anyone to open an account on one visit these days comes under the The Money Laundering Regulations 2007 (have a read)

had you called before going for an appointment or just walked in ? with staff cuts these days staff dont sit around waiting to open accounts.

Last year I went into my local TSB/Lloyds Bank. I had saved up, over a period of some months, £50 in £1 coins. They were all bagged up in 3 Bags, 2 X £20 & 1 X £10 and since they would only need to be weighed I thought there would be no problem in exchanging the coins for notes.

As the back was empty of Customers I was able to go to a teller without waiting. I took out the 3 bags of coins and placed them on the counter and I asked if it was possible for her to exchange £50 in coin for £50 in notes. She just blinked and looked at me as if I had horns or something. Then she took a breath and said that I would have to pay the money into a account and then withdraw the money in notes.

Astonished I explained all I wanted to was to get £50 in Notes for £50 of £1 coins, that they were bagged and all she had to do was to weigh them to check the correct value and this would only take a few seconds. She then said that it was not only against bank policy to do this but it was also against the law for her to exchange coins for notes.

She then went on to say that unless I had a account with them she could not help me.

So I have to have an account I thought, so I asked her could I open an account of some sort with the £50 in cash. She looked at me and said NO. Not to be put of I asked to speak to someone else and she said NO. This went on for about 2 minutes and I was never anything nice and polite to her, even though I was fuming inside by this time.

Then this suit appeared with a badge that announced he was the Assistant Manager. He looked at me and asked the teller what was going on. She told him I wanted to exchange coins for cash and that I did not have an account with them. I also pointed out that since I did not have an account I would like to open one with them and use the £50 Cash as my first deposit.

On me saying this, he took a step back, slowly looked up and down at me and said, and I quote him as I have never forgotten what he said.

"We do not want your sort in here, get out now, or I will call the Police and get them to remove you"

I was so stunned that all I could do was to pick up my cash, turn around and I slowly walked, leaning heavily on my walking sticks, out of the Bank.

I did write a letter of complaint about a week later to the head office, it took me a week to get my head around what had happened, but I never ever received a reply.

So, I still do have a Bank Account and to be honest I do not want one. I get my Pension paid into the Post Office Card Account and I withdraw my money from it once a week. But I do not save up coins of any sort now.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

The Post Office is now offering a basic current account.

I would write to the bank complaints department and inform them that you will be taking the matter to the financial ombudsman. This normally gets a response. I had a long runnig issue with Satander involving interest on a loan, I took to the ombudsman and received a offer from Satander to settle, it was a very good offer. I'm now taking Barclaycard on as well. Yet to go to the ombudsman but they have offered a settlement after weeks of saying every issue was my own fault.

Shows you have to pursue these companies, but you can win.

Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Erm, but you do work. You are your husband's full time carer for which the state pays you.
    Thank you, you are so right!!!
    Expect the worst and hope for the best!!!