Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learner Driver

Learner Driver

After a lot of visiting different showrooms it looks like the car we will be getting is the Hyundai ix20. It is comfortable for my other half to sit in and also small enough for my daughter/carer to be able to drive. She is only 17 and still having lessons.

My question is this: Can my daughter drive the car with L plates as long as I am sat in the passenger seat just as you can with a non-motability car?

I realise she has to take the advanced driving test after she passes her normal test, but I want her to be able to drive with L plates to be able to get used to the car.

This is one for Paul, I am sure he will be on soon, unless our other illustrious forum members can answer your query. sadly, I don't know

I don't see why the daughter would need to pass an advanced driving test, but then i know nothing about the mobility scheme
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Railfrog, If you contact Motability and ask to speak with the Continuity Team I'm confident they'll allow your daughter to be insured.

They may even help with Pass Plus lessons when your daughter passes her test.

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and.../young-drivers

Good luck

Hi Railfrog, from my own experience with my son who is 19 years old and a learner driver, motability / RSA both told me that as he was a learner they would only allow him to drive my mobility car after he reaches 21 years of age and im afraid they were not for budging on the decision even though i did plead with them as when im unfit to drive i have no one else to drive for me at the moment, but you can but try and i wish you luck with it.

Oh yes, you're right about that I forgot about that rule. They also have a rule that named drivers have to live within 5 miles of you too. I had to speak to them about it because one of my carers lives 10 miles away but because she is an employed carer (via ILF) it's fine, but it's supposedly to stop family members using your car for a jolly - which is perfectly understandable of course, that's Motability and not the jolly LOL !!!

Yes I think the OP may have run into a problem with his 17 year old daughter there - what a shame.

The best way to find out is to call Motability.

They currently have a rule limiting under 25s to 115bhp cars or less (it used to be under 21s), and that was for people who had passed their tests.

There may be cars available on the scheme which your daughter can drive, but it may be a better idea to just take out extra insurance covering her only.

Take a look at this http://www.coveredlearnerdriver.com/ they were featured in an article in one of the motoring magazines a few months ago.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Can a car be insured twice, Paul?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    Can a car be insured twice, Paul?
    Yes. The car isn't insured, it's the person. Although this is a special insurance only available for learner drivers.

Though in America you insure the car, and anyone can drive it.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for the answers.

Will contact Motability tomorrow.