Thread: Sold house, new house cheaper but needs disabled facilities, income support.

Sold house, new house cheaper but needs disabled facilities, income support.

Hi guys, I've not been around for a while but have sold our house & moved into town. The new house was cheaper than the sale price but needs all of the 'difference' spent on it to bring it up to scratch.
    We had a Disabled facilities Grant on the old property £41k but as it was 8 years ago did not need to repay.
    We have around £32k to spend on the new property which needs basic things like heating a kitchen and bathroom and disabled facilities for me.
    When I first inquired around 3 years ago I was told that the monies would be 'ignored for the first 6 months for income support purposes.
    My question is, Is this still the case?, here in Wales there is a grant scheme for those on low incomes to install modern energy efficient boilers. If my income support continues I qualify but the Job center couldn't give me a definite answer
    Sorry its a long question.

Who to ask for any expert advice is the problem.
    The CAB told me it 'should' be the same as if we had moved into a rental whilst any property purchase proceeded. They normally allow 6 months but that can be extended depending on circumstances. Trouble is the local job center, whilst they agree it's not savings, cannot tell me the 'rules'.