Thread: Benefit stopped without notification

Benefit stopped without notification

Can benefit be stopped without notification to the claimant that this going to happen, say by a specific date or just generally.
    I have heard of cases whereby the first people know of it is when they go to withdraw money or check account online.
    Funnily I can't find any info on this online, which is strange. I assumed that if someone was going to have their benefits stopped then the DWP would notify the claimant and also giving the reasons why. However it does appear that they just stop it and wait for claimant to contact them if it's an "inconvenience" to the claimant having their money stopped.
    The problem is that this also includes DWP errors and no fault of claimant.

I'm guessing that the DWP can stop payments if they receive information that determines that you're not entitled to something. As most letters are computer generated and generic it's best to phone up for an explanation. Payments may stop first then they send out a letter explaining why - it's called inefficiency and apathy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    . Payments may stop first then they send out a letter explaining why - it's called inefficiency and apathy!
    This sounds the most likely in the case I have just come across as the DWP seem to be owning up to the problem being a clerical error. However, when asked if they had sent out a letter stating benefit would be stopped they said no, they weren't obligated to give notification.

Indeed, the DWP can stop payment without prior notification if they become aware of something which makes them believe that payment should not continue. Don't know if they do this often though.

Law requires change to payment when decision made otherwise there will be overpayment, will always be before letter