Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by sixchips View Post
    sorry about teh rant, but look at this another way, if i was seen to use a disabled loo people could say why is he coming out of a disabled toilet, cos im bloody disabled thats why, how many times have been mentioned on here about disabilities we dont see . i have had some really shit news today and when i read about people moaning about someone going for a piss in a toilet it just makes me wonder if we are no better than the people who label us.
    it was the fact that I asked the woman if she had a disability and she said no..I would have apologised for seeming rude if she had.

Before I injured my knee, I had an 'invisible' disability myself, so I do know where you are coming from with that.

As for the comment about 'people moaning about someone going for a piss' is a bit harsh. Why should I have to embarass myself in public because somebody is inconsiderate??

right i might get some stick for this, but does it really matter that abled bodied people use disabled toilets , i am disabled but use public loos , it is all down to respect if a disabled person were queing to use a disabled toilet then common sense should prevail, and any decent abled bodied person would accept this, but if the toilet is not in use then why should they not use it. we complain about the treatment we recieve from various bodies, eg atos dwp etc , but it seems we are just as petty when somebody uses a loo.
    I agree, if I were questioned on the spot I may not admit to being disabled as it has been a long road, that I am still on admitting it to myself, so if I used a disabled toilet and then someone asked me (as mine can be invisible too as well as visible at times) I may not say I am.

A few years back before I got very ill I was in m and s and there was a que for the ladies and the supervisor came over and said it was policy that if the toilet is occupied then anyone can use the disabled toilets.

I never dare ask anyone who uses them if they are or not, if you are it is hard to say it at times and also it isn't anyone business, also you never know they may ask what is wrong with you and it is nobodies business tbh.

There are things that annoy me about how people use accessible toilets

For example
    1 For storage!. I tried using one in a Chinese eatery but couldn't use it as it was stacked full of cardboard boxes!

2 Business men. I had to wait outside an accessible loo for over 5 minutes. And who should emerge - a business man in a suit and briefcase. He had used it as a changing room to put a new shirt on.

3 Sainsbury
    . I popped into the cafe then wanted to use the loo. The accessible loo indicated that it was engaged. Five minutes later the cleaner turned up and said it wasn't in use and opened it with a radar key. I asked him why he didn't leave the door unlocked and he said he liked to keep it clean - it was unsurprisingly very clean if nobody was allowed to use it. Worryingly it also said CCTV was installed too!

4 Cleaners.
    It's very common for cleaners to either cut the emergency pull cord that should reach the floor. Or more commonly they tie it up while washing the floor but never untie it. Consequently if a disabled person ended up on the floor the red pul cord would be too high and out of reach. Doesn't matter how many times I tell my local Tesco that it's a training issue they never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    There are things that annoy me about how people use accessible toilets

For example
    1 For storage!. I tried using one in a Chinese eatery but couldn't use it as it was stacked full of cardboard boxes!

2 Business men. I had to wait outside an accessible loo for over 5 minutes. And who should emerge - a business man in a suit and briefcase. He had used it as a changing room to put a new shirt on.

3 Sainsbury
    . I popped into the cafe then wanted to use the loo. The accessible loo indicated that it was engaged. Five minutes later the cleaner turned up and said it wasn't in use and opened it with a radar key. I asked him why he didn't leave the door unlocked and he said he liked to keep it clean - it was unsurprisingly very clean if nobody was allowed to use it. Worryingly it also said CCTV was installed too!

4 Cleaners.
    It's very common for cleaners to either cut the emergency pull cord that should reach the floor. Or more commonly they tie it up while washing the floor but never untie it. Consequently if a disabled person ended up on the floor the red pull cord would be too high and out of reach. Doesn't matter how many times I tell my local Tesco that it's a training issue they never learn.
    I would also add :-

5 Young Children
    In our Tesco it seems to be common practice for Mothers to park there young children in the Disabled Toilet so they can play in safety while they do their Shopping. They put their children inside and tell them to lock the door and not to open it to anyone until they come back.

The last time this happened there was two people waiting outside the toilet, both on wheelchairs. I myself was in the Tesco Shopping Mobility Scooter. Screams of laughter was coming from the toilet so it was plain there were Children playing inside. I scooted around to Customer Services and made an official complaint.

The assistant followed me back and she rapped on the door after she had listened to the laughter coming from inside. All went quiet and she shouted through the door for them to open up and come out. Nothing happened so she repeated the demand. Still nothing so she produced a small tool and inserted it in the door and unlocked it. Upon opening the door we all could see two Little Girls, one about 7yrs and the other about 5yrs, playing in the wash hand basin and splashing water all over the floor.

She turned to us all and apologised on behalf of Tesco and marched the Children out of the toilet. She took them to the Customer Services Desk and made a Public Announcement asking for the Mother to come to the Customer Services Desk. I have no idea what happened after that but I hope the Mother was read the riot act.

In the past I have written to Tesco several times suggesting that they fit Radar Locks on all their Disabled Toilets in their Stores, but so far I have never had a reply so I do not hold up much hope. Perhaps if more people wrote to Tesco they may rethink and might, and I say might, fit radar locks.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Tesco maintain that the cleaning is outsourced and has nothing to do with them.

You can't even complain about the abuse of the Blue Badge system as they say they don't own the car park. What I call 'get out clauses'

sorry about teh rant, but look at this another way, if i was seen to use a disabled loo people could say why is he coming out of a disabled toilet, cos im bloody disabled thats why, how many times have been mentioned on here about disabilities we dont see . i have had some really shit news today and when i read about people moaning about someone going for a piss in a toilet it just makes me wonder if we are no better than the people who label us.
    Hi sixchips hope your ok mate xx

totally understand flowerangel, and thats what imeant about common sense , if a disabled toilet is vacant what is wrong with somebody using it, i just think that whatever is happening in society today regarding atos assessments, pip etc , why should we feel as if we have to be as petty as them when it comes down to someone wanting to use the loo.
    The toilet may be empty when "you" get there but what if like FA you are desperate and medically unable to hold on and some lazy arse is in there ? If my tube to my catheter gets a kink in it I have to get it un-kinked IMMEDIATELY or I can go into shock.

Although FA be careful about asking people if they are disabled because that actually doesn't have anything to do with you - sorry, but also people may turn on you and you don't want to put yourself in any danger

Get me, being all outspoken - must be that London air LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I would also add :-

5 Young Children
    In our Tesco it seems to be common practice for Mothers to park there young children in the Disabled Toilet so they can play in safety while they do their Shopping. They put their children inside and tell them to lock the door and not to open it to anyone until they come back.

The last time this happened there was two people waiting outside the toilet, both on wheelchairs. I myself was in the Tesco Shopping Mobility Scooter. Screams of laughter was coming from the toilet so it was plain there were Children playing inside. I scooted around to Customer Services and made an official complaint.

The assistant followed me back and she rapped on the door after she had listened to the laughter coming from inside. All went quiet and she shouted through the door for them to open up and come out. Nothing happened so she repeated the demand. Still nothing so she produced a small tool and inserted it in the door and unlocked it. Upon opening the door we all could see two Little Girls, one about 7yrs and the other about 5yrs, playing in the wash hand basin and splashing water all over the floor.

She turned to us all and apologised on behalf of Tesco and marched the Children out of the toilet. She took them to the Customer Services Desk and made a Public Announcement asking for the Mother to come to the Customer Services Desk. I have no idea what happened after that but I hope the Mother was read the riot act.

In the past I have written to Tesco several times suggesting that they fit Radar Locks on all their Disabled Toilets in their Stores, but so far I have never had a reply so I do not hold up much hope. Perhaps if more people wrote to Tesco they may rethink and might, and I say might, fit radar locks.
    OMG K - that's truly shocking !!!

Is this a new feature - I keep on being asked if I want to leave the page then you click 'no' and it throws me out losing the message - grrrr.

In short

6 Security guard - I waited outside the accessible loo as it was engaged. Who should emerge but the security guard at Tesco. I smiled and he whispered under his breath - 'sorry' and sheepishly walked away. I guess it beats having a fag break!

Hi, the best thing is for your store to fit a RADAR key lock that way only disabled persons could use it.