Thread: How to go about learning to drive from a wheelchair?

How to go about learning to drive from a wheelchair?

Hi, i'm 22 years old & i've just applied for my provisional licence. I'm a wheelchair user & i have limited use of my arms & no use of my legs. We currently have a van with motability which my mum drives but at the age of 22 i feel i should now be having some independance. The thing is we're only 2 years into the 5 year lease so i don't think they would change the car yet would they? I'm gutted that i've only just found out that they do this kind of thing because i could have done it 2 years ago when we were due to change! Would it be worth ringing motability anyway when my provisional arrives just to see what they say??

Also what do i do about driving lessons? Is that sorted through motability?

Definitely ring MOTABILITY they don't normally like fitting adaptions afterwards because it costs about £800 just for the basic push/pull mechanical hand controls. You're talking £1,000s for electronic ones but they will do it under some circumstances. If you explain to them what you have said here, I can't see why they wouldn't.

If you can't afford the adaptions you can apply for a grant too

I have lessons through Truro Mobility Centre, they are countrywide, take a look here for your nearest. They will also do your assessment to see what adaptions you will need. I think MOTABILITY refer you and then they will ring you, but there's no harm in having a look at their website or giving them a ring.

http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/

I'm currently having lessons using hand controls. I'm getting my new car complete with hoist and and controls a week on Tuesday - cant wait !

Let me know if you want some good websites for your theory and hazard perception tests. I can also recommend some CD Roms too

Good luck

Having just re-read your post I see you'll need a completely new vehicle. My advice still stands though and ring MOTABILITY in the morning. It will be cheaper for them to give you a brand new vehicle and have the adaptions done before you take delivery. Again, the mobility centres do these adaptions.
    Last edited by andypandy; 07-28-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely ring Motability, even if they won't change the car early they might get the ball rolling and assess me for the controls etc.

You're v welcome.

Just a thought though if you are unable to drive from your wheelchair in your current car there won't be any point in the adaptions.

I wonder if you could transfer there won't be any need to drive from your wheelchair then the adaptions could be done. The mobility centre will fully assess you for all of that

Oh just one thing though, MOTABILITY won't do any adaptions until you have actually passed your test if you're going down the grant route.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow