Thread: Clerk to Governing body - urgent advice needed

Clerk to Governing body - urgent advice needed

Hi everyone,

I've managed to succeed in find a job as a clerk to school governing body. I'm a total noob and thankfully, they provide full training. Part of the job is taking minutes, which according to the interviewer, sometimes a clerk can spend upto 2 hours writing.

Now here are the issues:-

1. I'm partially deaf
    2. I do suffer from hand pain if i spend too long handwriting

What can be the solutions to help me cross these disability barriers?

Thanks for your help and advice

Quote Originally Posted by helpmepls View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've managed to succeed in find a job as a clerk to school governing body. I'm a total noob and thankfully, they provide full training. Part of the job is taking minutes, which according to the interviewer, sometimes a clerk can spend upto 2 hours writing.

Now here are the issues:-

1. I'm partially deaf
    2. I do suffer from hand pain if i spend too long handwriting

What can be the solutions to help me cross these disability barriers?

Thanks for your help and advice

Your will need to record the meetings, if your partially deaf sadly not everyone will know and some people will mumble, so if you can record meetings and then listen to it back you can then write the minutes.

Now then sometimes these schools will have minute books which will need to be filled in, so you may need assistance with doing that, if they will allow you to attach the minutes then a voice writer for your computer may help.

None of this should be a problem if this is a paid position your entitled to help with buying the tape recorder a small hand help device you can speak into and nobody help will hear. The voice writer for your computer is not that expensive and your job center should help you with the funding for these.

I'd have a word with the Job center they will have all the details of all the funding you can get as well.

treborc - First of all, thank you very much for your help. I was already thinking of a dictaphone or a digital notetaker, so thats a great idea. Just to clarify, what is a voice writer? Will that help me with my hand pain? If not, then what will?

FYI, the position is paid. To start of with the number of hours will be small, but as I handle more schools, this will increase. My worry is that my disability will hold me back.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmepls View Post
    treborc - First of all, thank you very much for your help. I was already thinking of a dictaphone or a digital notetaker, so thats a great idea. Just to clarify, what is a voice writer? Will that help me with my hand pain? If not, then what will?

FYI, the position is paid. To start of with the number of hours will be small, but as I handle more schools, this will increase. My worry is that my disability will hold me back.

I have a system on my computer to write letters take notes in which I speak to my computer it turns it into written words, I can use it to type letters make notes keep a diary .

This is just one of many systems.http://www.nuance.com/dragon/accessibility/index.htm

Oh right! Yeah, I've heard of dragon. But if I recorded the meeting on a digital notetaker. how would dragon then convert what is a general conversation between various people to text?