Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Automatic/semi auto's on Motability

Yep, it's turbo diesel for you all the way Smithy ........if you're a spirited driver that enjoys a responsive chassis under you....it's gotta be the Mondeo Powershift......the other two are equally good but won't always leave a smile on your face if you ask 'em to veer off line violently.

If car snobbery rocks your boat ......you gotta get the VW

If ya want to sail in comfort...........it's the VX for you.

Paul, you don't hang about do ya .....in fairness, you're getting very acceptable MPG's from a potent motor.

Last but not least Smithy....I take it for granted you're aware of the £650 auto bonus you're entitled to.

Let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gel View Post
    Last but not least Smithy....I take it for granted you're aware of the £650 auto bonus you're entitled to.

Let us know how you go.
    Whats that all about??

Hi Glover, pensioned Forces personnel (WPMS) are entitled to a Forces grant of £650 or there abouts if they need an auto/ semi auto car.
    Last edited by Deleted; 08-04-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

Ah, thanks for the info Gel.

I'm not sure if a MOTABILTY vehicle is the way to go for the OP as I see they are planning on doing 15k + miles per year

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    I'm not sure if a MOTABILTY vehicle is the way to go for the OP as I see they are planning on doing 15k + miles per year
    Why not, you can do up to 20k and anything over is a very reasonable cost, 5p per mile I think.in fact very person who should have one as they'll actually make use of it!

I do 12-15000 miles too, a Motability car is perfect for my needs.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I've updated the spreadsheet to include the prices for War Pensioners and the Scirocco will save you approximately £340 a year over the Mondeo, that might help you with the wife
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...sDiesel_WP.xls
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Many thanks to you all for the great information proffered. It really does help me in choosing which vehicle(s) to look into.

Gel, thank you for the information regarding the grant towards an automatic car. I do now recall it being mentioned many years ago but I had totally forgotten about it. I do need an automatic car as I have a prosthetic left leg and right foot. Albeit the right foot prosthetic is designed for driving, I would never be able to operate a clutch with the prosthetic left leg. I take it this £650 grant would be to reduce the Advance Payment of the vehicle (to bring it roughly into line with the advance payment for a manual version)?

Also thanks re the vehicle info. I currently drive a Mondeo automatic although it is 8 years old and bits are wearing out (I believe it is going to cost rather a lot of money to get it through it's MOT). I do like the Mondeo chassis which (when the wife and grand/great grand children are not with me) is certainly capable of some 'spirited' driving. I hope to be test driving the new Mondeo (amongst a few other vehicles) which I am looking forward to.

Andypandy Re my mileage, the annual 15K+ I quoted is based on my mileage over the past few years. It is between 15k and 16k miles, so I should be well inside the Motability allowance of 60k over the three years (hopefully).

Paul, thank you for re-calculating your spreadsheet for the war pension payments. I would dearly love the Sirocco or the VW CC but the boot just isn't large enough for when we have the great grandchildren with us, plus my own wheelchair needs to go into the boot as well (I can only walk a short distance unaided on the prosthetics).

Just another question if I may. Albeit I am looking towards the top end specifications (Titanium XBE, Vauxhall Elite Nav etc) am I free to specify any of the optional extras and option packs that are available? I understand I would have to pay the extra cost of these but that there maybe some 'wriggle room' on the price of the options?

I have an appointment at the Ford main dealer this morning and hopefully will have a test drive in a Mondeo Powershift which I am looking forward to. The VW Motability chap should also be ringing me today with regards to which DSG equipped vehicles they have for a test drive tomorrow. Having contacted the local Vauxhall dealer on Friday, they did seem rather indifferent when they realised I was a prospective Motability customer. I got the feeling they would rather sell me a vehicle or lease one to me on the Vauxhall scheme rather than on the Motability scheme. I think I may try the other Vauxhall dealer across the city to see what type of reception I receive. Both the Ford and VW main dealers seemed to be much more receptive to me being a Motability customer.

Regards
    Smithy

Good luck with the test drives

This link may be to your liking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/messageboa...thread=6411848