Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DLA is for helping people walk? Seems a bit simplified.

DLA is for helping people walk? Seems a bit simplified.

So that's what DLA is for.
    I feel these 'paralympians' have done the disabled no favours. How could anyone with even minimal intelligence fall for something ponsored by ATOS as a kind of entrapment.

A DWP spokesperson has said “DLA is designed to give severely disabled people who are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk the extra cash support they need to live more independent lives.”

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2012/09...sabled-enough/

Without doubt, our Gov't and ATOS watched the Paralympics and saw how the paralympians were coping with some quite demanding sports given their disabilities.

And no doubt they are thinking that if the paralympians can cope with disability in extreme conditions then so can the every day disabled person!!!

In my usually wrong opinion, the paralympics did most disabled people no real favours at all.

you're not wrong IVB it did us no favours at all while it was great that these people manage their disabilties enough to be able to take part in the games a lot of disabled people become disabled through illness and even if we manage our disablities better through time were still ill

the goverment don't seem to get this bet they would phone in sick if they felt like death a lot of us feel this way every day

This obsession with higher goals through sport produces nothing.Why not do something useful.
    There is too much sport in UK.
    The paralympics was planned to show what disabled can do. All for a bit of glory... forgotten next week.
    Frankly it does seem a bit much for participants to then claim because they cannot get around. That is what the public see.

If you partake, you get grants anyway. So I guess they can afford to lose DLA.
    DLA is about much more than walking, though.

The 'Paralympics' did ordinary disabled people a great deal of damage.

Account removed
    That means you think people should sit at home so some people can keep DLA, DLA has ended and will end for all in 2018 PIPs will be a new benefit which will mean people will not get cars.

But the fact is this would have happened even if people had done or not done the para games.

Government thinks to many people are getting cars and the idea is to lower this, and we will see my own feeling Motability will have a job to carry on going with maybe only 500,000 motability cars. This would have happened anyway.

Gordon Brown wanted to end DLA totally with no benefit taking over.

It has nothing to do with Para games people are entitled to a life and live it as they see best.

First off I have zero interest in either the Olympics or Paralympics. Sport does very little for me.

However, it seems to be grossly unfair to have a go at those who participated in the Paralympics (if not downright nasty). ATOS involvement was pure propaganda, but those who participated would have been preparing physically/financially/emotionally/mentally for many years. I'm sure they were not happy at who was sponsoring.

Who says the participants can afford to lose DLA? Grants do not last forever.

No! people should certainly not sit at home, and few do. Especially with the help of DLA.
    But this display of strength which is only by a few.. really was negative after the event. They can expect to lose DLA. ?
    When I first lost my job people would say 'what do you do with your time'. This irritates me. I do not have any free time at all.
    I did not know about the car thing... but it sounds inevitable, and regardless. Sure you are right.
    These ATOS /DLA agencies have no concern for quality of life. Is this not the problem?

Having read the article you linked to, it appears the paralympian did not lose DLA but was unsuccessful with his application. Perhaps he made a very poor application? Who knows without seeing his form or knowing what his needs are?

Note that the article linked to was published in September 2012 - hardly new news.