Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vehicle Paint Price Advice please.

New Vehicle Paint Price Advice please.

My wife has just ordered her first Motability car and after some deliberation we decided on a Vauxhall Antara (because we tow a caravan). We ordered it on the 30th June, the last day they were available. We were told that there would be a 5-month waiting list, so we are expecting the car around the end of November.

The salesman asked us what colour we wanted and we said that we would like the white which we had seen on another vehicle in the showroom. The salesman consulted his computer screen and said "Yes - that is available on Motability". Now, browsing Vauxhall's website I see that there is a surcharge of £995 for that particular paint! Are we going to be asked to pay that? No-one mentioned any charge to us at the time.

Lyndon

When you ordered the vehicle you would have been handed a copy, look at this all surcharges would be listed , if your sill not sure phone the dealer and ask them, before your vehicle arrived you can then change it if ended.

You usually have to pay the difference between the 'standard cost-option' paint and a 'premium-cost' paint.

Say the standard metallic paint was £695 and the premium (white in your case) is £995, then you would pay the difference = £300
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for the advice chaps. With some trepidation I rang them this afternoon, and once they had tracked down the "Motability Expert", he confirmed that we would NOT be asked to pay this. As I was breathing a huge sigh of relief he said "But there is an update to your delivery date - the car will now be here on October 10th". So that's 7 weeks earlier than expected - things are looking good!

Great news on both counts, I hope you enjoy your new car
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!

Evans Halshaw have just rung us to say that they have had an email from Motability which basically says that they are not prepared to meet the extra cost of the paint-job. This is something of a problem because the car (in pearlescent white) is stood on Evans Halshaw's forecourt waiting for us to collect it!

So, it's Saturday Morning - EH can't contact Motability because their offices are closed.They have a car which they can't let me have unless I cough up another £995 (no chance).

Clearly either EH or Motability have c*cked up, and one of them will have to meet the charge OR they will have to get me another car. If they get another one (who knows how long that will take) and EH will be stuck with this one.

I am thinking of offering to meet £250 of the charge as long as someone else meets the rest. Does that sound like a good idea to anyone?

lefthanded99

No EH told you it was covered so it's their fault.

It seems a bit strange that they have just had an email at the last moment, surely the details would have been on the order when it was originally placed.

Do you have it in writing about the cost of the paint (you should have a receipt)?

If not, I would offer to pay the difference - which is what I mentioned in my post above.
    Motability Car History

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Do you have it in writing about the cost of the paint (you should have a receipt)?

If not, I would offer to pay the difference - which is what I mentioned in my post above.
    All the other colour choices are zero cost, so the difference is the full £995. The pearlescent white was never important to us - we only chose it because we were told it was available at no cost (to us). If the dealer had said when we placed our order that we would have to pay it then we would have chosen a different colour. They also confirmed to us that there would be no charge when I contacted them last month.

It seems clear to me that either the EH salesman did not check with Motability (even though he told us that he did), or else he did check and Motability said it was OK but have now changed their minds. Either way, I don't think it's fair that I should now be asked to find an extra £995 - something which will be very difficult for me.
    Last edited by lefthanded99; 10-13-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo

You could cancel the car, then order another one. That might make Motability come up with a compromise where you only pay part of the paint cost.