Thread: Universal Credit

Universal Credit

They say this will make work pay, err what work? Ive been serverley disabled since an accident in 1985 and there is no way I could work if anyone was daft enough to giveme a job, besides apart from my disabilities people of my age have virtually no chance of getting a job

Bless ya mate.
    You know, our gov't would love to get every disabled person into work, regardless of their disabilities - it's like a mission to them. It's not about 'empowering' the disabled, it's about cutting the benefits bill, yet they can't even find work for the long-term able bodied unemployed. Universal Credit? It's a fart in the breeze,lol. It'll never catch on!

Well I've been disabled since 1977 but had been in full employment every year up until when I took ill health early retirement two years ago in my mid fifties.

I guess I was lucky as I had a trade - being a designer and creative plus enjoying my job meant I was employable. I wouldn't want to work for anyone now. I enjoy voluntary work as a trustee of a disability organisation. I get to go on courses, mingle with other people from the 'third sector' and get paid my travel expenses too.

Universal credit - it's being piloted in the NW and they are testing it out on single people with very uncomplicated benefit needs. The IT system is 'dud' so it's not fit for purpose and won't be launched nationally until about 2017 I believe. Just a waste of tax payers money.