Thread: Attendance allowance and carers allowance

Attendance allowance and carers allowance

Hello,

I've just found out that my parents are only recieving the state pension and a tiny personel pension, i have just done the benefits advisor and it said they should be getting a lot more than this namely attendance allowance and carers allowance as they are riddled with arthritis and heart problems and one has emphysema, my question is there are 2 rates of attendance allowance do you need to get the higher rate to get carers allowance or is it either of them.

Thanks for any help.

Hiya pg1973. One can claim Carers Allowance with both rates of Attendance Allowance.

They could possibly each get attendance allowance but neither would be able to claim carers allowance as that ceases at state retiement age. Someone else under retirement age who meets the wages criteria could claim CA for one of them. Another person meeting the criteria could claim CA for the other.
    As far as I am aware CA can be claimed for both rates of AA.

Definately get them each to claim AA. The best way for them to do this is to contact Social Services Adult Care, get them both assessed and ask for help in filling in the forms as SS should have people who are experienced in this.

Hello,

Thanks for the quick answers. I've just re-done the benefits advisor to show them and it now says that if they both recieved AA they can now qualify for pension credit and also carers credit is that different from carers allowance and if my calculations are correct they will also qualify for help with councill tax.

Carers credits are different to carers allowance.

Get them to claim, nothing tried, nothing gained but please get help with the form filling by a professional as DWP look for key words and statements. So many lose out by the forms not being filled in to DWP standards for want of a better word.

Get claiming they can't take anything off for trying.