Thread: ESA reconsideration - anybody with success stories?

removed

ESA reconsideration - anybody with success stories?

Hi,

I recently failed my ESA WCA and have to put in a reconsideration. I am just wandering if anybody has gone from 0 points to being awarded ESA without going to appeal only going for a reconsideration. I will be getting new supporting evidence from my consultant which will be looked at by a welfare rights worker to see if it is OK.

If anybody has any stories please share them and how long it took for them to change the decision just so I can get an idea on the process.

Thanks

I personally have not done this, but a reconsideration can be a powerful way to get the DWP to reconsider their decision in your favour.

Mandatory Reconsiderations (now done before Appeals anyway) are your chance to show the Decision Maker that the WCA missed vital information on your condition, that you have further information to support your claim and getting your consultant involved is perfect. And remember, it's not whether you can actually perform any given task just once, its whether you can perform that task repeatedly and safely.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    I personally have not done this, but a reconsideration can be a powerful way to get the DWP to reconsider their decision in your favour.

Mandatory Reconsiderations (now done before Appeals anyway) are your chance to show the Decision Maker that the WCA missed vital information on your condition, that you have further information to support your claim and getting your consultant involved is perfect. And remember, it's not whether you can actually perform any given task just once, its whether you can perform that task repeatedly and safely.
    Thanks ivb. Everything that was written in the HCP was lies. How they can get away with it is beyond me. I am just worried that even with medical evidence they will ignore it and take Atos's view.

I've had a lot of dealings with Decision Makers many moons ago, and strangely they ARE kinda human. If you have medical evidence which proves as medical 'fact' something that the ATOS HCP overlooked, or even ignored in their report, then the DM will look at it. Don't forget that Appeals win in about 40% of cases, and that's very high. Ok, you're not Appealing, but they are still going to re-examine your entire case so the more factual input you give, the better.
    AND, don't forget these DM's know that ATOS are screwing up big time - so it's in the DM's interest to get the reconsideration correct in order to stop it reaching a costly Appeal status.

removed
    I've had a lot of dealings with Decision Makers many moons ago, and strangely they ARE kinda human. If you have medical evidence which proves as medical 'fact' something that the ATOS HCP overlooked, or even ignored in their report, then the DM will look at it. Don't forget that Appeals win in about 40% of cases, and that's very high. Ok, you're not Appealing, but they are still going to re-examine your entire case so the more factual input you give, the better.
    AND, don't forget these DM's know that ATOS are screwing up big time - so it's in the DM's interest to get the reconsideration correct in order to stop it reaching a costly Appeal status.
    Thanks again for the reply. That's there reasoning for introducing the reconsideration to avoid costly appeals. My consultant selected the descriptor most relevant and put 4 examples of how I meet it, just so that the DM understands he problems I face. I thought the ATOS assessment went well as I thought the HCP was sympathetic and understanding but turns out she was a two faced liar. By any do you know if they come to a decision quickly as it took them 2 weeks to come to a decision from the date the ATOS report was received at the DWP?

I hear many people say that the assessment went well, but the result was bad - indeed some HCP's are very two faced.
    I have read somewhere about reconsiderations taking 4 weeks or more, but i cannot remember where but i'm sure there must be someone on here who has had one - though they are rather new I suppose. Oh, BTW, the DM WILL try to phone you to explain their decision (not always a good thing). Personally i never talk over the phone with the DWP to avoid misunderstandings. If you don't want them phoning you with an explanation etc, just tell them to do it in writing, it's all about personal preference.

I've just seen this - rather interesting:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/ap...econsideration

removed
    I hear many people say that the assessment went well, but the result was bad - indeed some HCP's are very two faced.
    I have read somewhere about reconsiderations taking 4 weeks or more, but i cannot remember where but i'm sure there must be someone on here who has had one - though they are rather new I suppose. Oh, BTW, the DM WILL try to phone you to explain their decision (not always a good thing). Personally i never talk over the phone with the DWP to avoid misunderstandings. If you don't want them phoning you with an explanation etc, just tell them to do it in writing, it's all about personal preference.

I've just seen this - rather interesting:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/ap...econsideration
    Thanks for your comments. The link was useful, it does give good insight as to how the process works.