Thread: ESA to JSA

ESA to JSA

hi there, I am truly puzzled at what is happening, I have been Disabled for approx 23 years, and have been getting Disablement allowance upto all the changes, then I got put onto income related EESA, in the Work Related group, even though my advisor in the Job Center disagrees completly but says she can do nothing about it.
    I am getting the top level Mobility with Carer pack as well.My wife is my Carer and is recognised as such although no payment is given.
    Well thats a bit of background upto here, NOW, I have now had my EESA for the maximum 365 days, and got a letter end of November saying I would recieve Nil money as from the 14th Dec, Well I waited till today checked the bank and lo and Behold I have just recieved the same amount of money as was getting paid only it is recorded in my bank as JSA.
    I have had no explanation of why the change, in fact I was expecting nothing to be paid.
    Does anyone know if that means I am expected to go look for employment?
    And has this happened to anyone else.?

cheers BuddyH

You'd need to call the DWP and query why it says JSA, but you haven't been moved onto JSA .ESA income related isn't affected by the 365 days. Contribution based ESA stops after 365 days in the WRAG group, then the persons income is evaluated to see if payment will continue as ESA income based. ie if they have no other form of income from a pension nor a partner in work.

I have just spoken to my wife who says I was on the ESA in the WRAG group so therefore that is why after 365 days, it stopped, But as I say it now says JSA, I filled out (or should I say my wife filled out on my behalf) an ESA3 form which basically asks more questions about where I came from and NONE about my disablement, so they dont even know from that form that I am ill. my partner does not work and we have no other income than Her ESA, it just seems madness that I am now on JSA.

An ESA 3 is intended to gather information on your financial situation that is how you have continued to receive (IR) ESA after your Contributions ran out (365 days).
    I have also seen this question about JSA in a bank account payment elsewhere, I believe it is because your payment is now totally Income Related (no CB) and you are in WRAG. My take on this is, it is all part of 'Demented Smith's' master plan to get everyone in the WRAG eventually recognised as JSA and not sick or disabled, as he has stated and is seen on other threads on this forum.

NB: all in readiness for his (sunken) flagship - Universal Credit, when he refloats it obviously.
    Last edited by Jard; 12-17-2013 at 12:47 PM.

thanks Jard that helps, I think you are spot on , what I will do is keep this thread upto date with any updates.
    Thanks again Jard and seriouslyfedup.

As Jard implies, it sounds as if you were receiving contributions based ESA, not income related ESA. Contributions based ESA only lasts for 365 days for those in the work-related activity group, though you can move from contributions based ESA to income related ESA at the end of the 365 days.

There's no disability related questions in the ESA3 form, because it is purely about the means test that applies to income related ESA. If your determination that you have limited capability for work has run out, the matter will be looked at again and you may well get another ESA50 questionnaire.

There's several possible explanations for the mystery payment.

The most likely is Jard's - that you've been moved to income related ESA.

It's also possible that it's a mislabelled final payment of contributions related ESA, as benefits are paid in arrears (you are paid the money after you become entitled to it, so each payment comes after the period of time it is for).

The mystery payment is most unlikely to be JSA, as that would require a rather implausible scenario of a decision being made that you do not qualify for income related ESA, the ESA3 being taken as a defective claim for JSA that was perfected without seeking further evidence, and that you have somehow qualified for a JSA payment identical to your former ESA payment. That last criterion changes this already implausible situation to one that is almost impossible, as JSA is almost always rather less money than ESA.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslyfedup View Post
    You'd need to call the DWP and query why it says JSA, but you haven't been moved onto JSA .ESA income related isn't affected by the 365 days. Contribution based ESA stops after 365 days in the WRAG group, then the persons income is evaluated to see if payment will continue as ESA income based. ie if they have no other form of income from a pension nor a partner in work.
    seriousyfedup can you plz tell me a lil more plz, what happens after that. when u finish with wrag (controbution based) do you hav to call them or do dwp automaticly evaulate how much income u need? if u hav no pension/partner workingg then u will get jobseeker rate(71 pounds)? or more?
    an how long u get it for..? until next essa50 comes throgugh your door?? thanks